Looking to Upgrade Current Microphone Setup - Condenser and XLR Questions

EChondo

Hello all, I currently have a Blue Snowball microphone(holy crap, they are in different colours now?!), but the audio quality isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I've been happy with it so far, but I have been looking into condenser microphones and have some questions.

I don't do high grade audio work, I mainly want better audio for voice communications, so Teamspeak and online gaming, but I do some video recordings from time to time and if I ever get Google Fiber in my area I'd most likely be streaming a lot. I have been looking at the AT 2035 and the Monoprice 600800 microphones and saw they use a XLR interface and that I would need phantom power to power them and then an interface to hook up it to my computer(right?). I found the AT single channel phantom power supply, so then running a XLR to USB cable from the mic out port of the power supply to my computer should be fine then, right?

Just want some clarification. I figured the Monoprice mic with a RODE PSA1 mount and a Nady Pop-filter would be to my liking. Or any other mics you guys could recommend?

Hello all, I currently have a Blue Snowball microphone(holy crap, they are in different colours now?!), but the audio quality isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I've been happy with it so far, but I have been looking into condenser microphones and have some questions.

I don't do high grade audio work, I mainly want better audio for voice communications, so Teamspeak and online gaming, but I do some video recordings from time to time and if I ever get Google Fiber in my area I'd most likely be streaming a lot. I have been looking at the AT 2035 and the Monoprice 600800 microphones and saw they use a XLR interface and that I would need phantom power to power them and then an interface to hook up it to my computer(right?). I found the AT single channel phantom power supply, so then running a XLR to USB cable from the mic out port of the power supply to my computer should be fine then, right?

Just want some clarification. I figured the Monoprice mic with a RODE PSA1 mount and a Nady Pop-filter would be to my liking. Or any other mics you guys could recommend?

That Monoprice mic looks an awful lot like the MXL 770, you might be able to get that one for cheaper. The MXL 990 is also a very good "budget" condensor microphone. And of course there is nothing wrong with the AT2035 either.

Yes, All mics you (and I) listed need phantom power, but that powersupply seems to be quite overpriced, I think you can get a Blue Icicle for that, is all in one, less wires and such. 

Personally I would spend a little bit more and get a proper audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the M-Audio FastTrack, but that is considerably more expensive.

Edit - added some hyperlinks

THE signature

Why not go with a straight USB mic? The Blue Yeti and the Audio Technica AT2020USB are both good contenders (or even the MXL 009). If you insist upon some kind of XLR, I can't recommend on the mic, but there is a very good mixer that connects through USB and isn't a pile of faeces. It's the Yamaha Audiogram 6 (there's also one with just a single XLR input.)

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I'd get an audio interface. XLR to USB adapters etc.. are normally a pile of what not..

I do agree, but most audio interfaces, depending on brands and expandability, can be pretty pricey, and like I said, I'm not really looking to do professional work and can't really justify that cost when I'm mostly going to be using it for talking crap to other people online :P

That Monoprice mic looks an awful lot like the MXL 770, you might be able to get that one for cheaper. The MXL 990 is also a very good "budget" condensor microphone. And of course there is nothing wrong with the AT2035 either.

Yes, All mics you (and I) listed need phantom power, but that powersupply seems to be quite overpriced, I think you can get a Blue Icicle for that, is all in one, less wires and such. 

Personally I would spend a little bit more and get a proper audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the M-Audio FastTrack, but that is considerably more expensive.

Edit - added some hyperlinks

It does look like the MXL 770...hmm. It even has the -10db switch and the high pass filter switch. I figured a ~$70 mic is a decent "sweet spot" for my situation. I'll definitely be looking at the MXL 770 now.

Well I have been looking at the Blue Icicle, but for $6 more it's not that bad, especially with dedicated AC power. Also I have read that the Icicle does have driver issues(read the first review on its Amazon page), it seems like a simple work around, but I kind of want a streamlined interface.

Personally I'd love to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but I am trying to keep this under a reasonable amount of money.

Why not go with a straight USB mic? The Blue Yeti and the Audio Technica AT2020USB are both good contenders (or even the MXL 009). If you insist upon some kind of XLR, I can't recommend on the mic, but there is a very good mixer that connects through USB and isn't a pile of faeces. It's the Yamaha Audiogram 6 (there's also one with just a single XLR input.)

Well I do have a Blue Snowball and I have found that Blue products have a certain sound to them, and I particularly do not like that sound it gives off. I have been looking at the AT2020, but I figured if I could spend around $100 more I could get a setup that has all around expandability, so if I wanted to start doing professional work, I could upgrade to a mixer without changing microphones. Also I kind of want a condenser mic so I could use the RODE stand and keep my desk clear of stuff. Oh and thanks for the Yamaha product name  :D I was looking at their mixers and was trying to find one with only one input, I guess I wasn't typing in the right search terms  :wacko:. The single XLR input is the Yamaha Audiogram 3.

It does look like the MXL 770...hmm. It even has the -10db switch and the high pass filter switch. I figured a ~$70 mic is a decent "sweet spot" for my situation. I'll definitely be looking at the MXL 770 now.

Well I have been looking at the Blue Icicle, but for $6 more it's not that bad, especially with dedicated AC power. Also I have read that the Icicle does have driver issues(read the first review on its Amazon page), it seems like a simple work around, but I kind of want a streamlined interface.

Personally I'd love to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but I am trying to keep this under a reasonable amount of money.

Wow, honestly with the Blue Icicle, I was going off recommendations of others, and it seems like it has some severe build quality issues as well :/, a Phantom Power supply doesn't look as bad anymore. I have seen cheaper ones than that, though.

There are some USB mixers like the Behringer Xenyx 302 or the Alexis Mixamp 4, but I honestly don't know if they can be trusted, I've heard bad things about the pre-amps in the Xenyx line and in general people say you should go with an audio interface over a usb mixer in the same price category.

THE signature

Well I do have a Blue Snowball and I have found that Blue products have a certain sound to them, and I particularly do not like that sound it gives off. I have been looking at the AT2020, but I figured if I could spend around $100 more I could get a setup that has all around expandability, so if I wanted to start doing professional work, I could upgrade to a mixer without changing microphones. Also I kind of want a condenser mic so I could use the RODE stand and keep my desk clear of stuff. Oh and thanks for the Yamaha product name  :D I was looking at their mixers and was trying to find one with only one input, I guess I wasn't typing in the right search terms  :wacko:. The single XLR input is the Yamaha Audiogram 3.

Maybe the snowball does, but the Yeti has a very flat sound (flat as in no change to bass or treble.) I've used the AT2020 for around a year, and it works very well. Even if you get a proper cardioid XLR mic, you'd still have an issue considering your microphone would only work for one thing. If you want true expandibility you should go with a Blue Yeti USB (or the Yeti Pro if you insist upon XLR) as it has many modes. The AT2020 and the Yeti are condenser, but they get the power from the USB and transmit the data through it at the same time. 

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

Wow, honestly with the Blue Icicle, I was going off recommendations of others, and it seems like it has some severe build quality issues as well :/, a Phantom Power supply doesn't look as bad anymore. I have seen cheaper ones than that, though.

There are some USB mixers like the Behringer Xenyx 302 or the Alexis Mixamp 4, but I honestly don't know if they can be trusted, I've heard bad things about the pre-amps in the Xenyx line and in general people say you should go with an audio interface over a usb mixer in the same price category.

I was about to ask you about the Behringer Xenyx 302 as well xD Well it seems that the AT power supply seems like a decent option, but I'll look at the Focusrite, might prolong this purchase for maybe a month to get some more cash in hand.

I turn 18 tomorrow and can finally open a checking account, so I have a decent amount of money to spend, but I'm trying to be a bit frugal since I also want to buy a new mouse and a headphone stand for my ATH-M50's.

Maybe the snowball does, but the Yeti has a very flat sound (flat as in no change to bass or treble.) I've used the AT2020 for around a year, and it works very well. Even if you get a proper cardioid XLR mic, you'd still have an issue considering your microphone would only work for one thing. If you want true expandability you should go with a Blue Yeti USB (or the Yeti Pro if you insist upon XLR) as it has many modes. The AT2020 and the Yeti are condenser, but they get the power from the USB and transmit the data through it at the same time.

I'll definitely be looking into both mics, I am familiar with the Yeti's mode switch since it is on the Snowball as well.

I agree with not risking lower-end audio interfaces. The Focusrite or M-Audio ones (or similar) are the cheapest ones you should really consider if you're looking for XLR/preamps. I'd also advise staying away from USB to XLR adapters for what you're doing.

Just as a side note, you should look into metal pop filters. MUCH easier to clean, and whatever "sound differences" people talk about are just simply nonexistent for anything short of professional studio recordings, at least in my experience. If you're going to get a cloth pop, might as well bend a clothes hanger into a ring and stretch some pantyhose over it. Something to think about :D

I agree with not risking lower-end audio interfaces. The Focusrite or M-Audio ones (or similar) are the cheapest ones you should really consider if you're looking for XLR/preamps. I'd also advise staying away from USB to XLR adapters for what you're doing.

Just as a side note, you should look into metal pop filters. MUCH easier to clean, and whatever "sound differences" people talk about are just simply nonexistent for anything short of professional studio recordings, at least in my experience. If you're going to get a cloth pop, might as well bend a clothes hanger into a ring and stretch some pantyhose over it. Something to think about :D

Mind linking me to some metal pop filters? :3

Yeah I'm rethinking the phantom PSU and XLR to USB cable. Don't know much about pop filters, just that I'd like one.

I've heard of some guys having trouble with driver stability and general quality of the m-audio stuff (specifically the fast track units), but haven't tried one myself. I've only really heard good thing about the scarlett 2i2, seems like a well built simple interface, I've got a friend who has one and loves it. I personally have a roland quand-capture and love it, but something like that seems like it would be far more than you need if all your looking at interfaces for is to hook up a mic with an xlr connection.

Mind linking me to some metal pop filters? :3

Yeah I'm rethinking the phantom PSU and XLR to USB cable. Don't know much about pop filters, just that I'd like one.

Pop filters all do the same thing. The only difference is stuff like how easy it is to break or clean. You really can't go wrong with one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-Metal-Pop-Filter-109270611-i1134867.gc