I need help

Hello, I built a new PC and only have one hard drive my motherboards manual says its recommended i have 2(B450 AORUS elite) SATA devices. I have one but I also have another different year, different company, and different type and it would come from a pre-built Dell intel PC, so can I use that one? It has a lot of documents and we English teachers need it. All. Could I take it out (backed up first) put it in to the new pc and run it? Would it work? How would it work? Its windows Vista to be exact. I need this to work as soon as possible because of distance learning. I am working on a cheap school district laptop right now :(

Would it start windows Vista and u would just need to update it or what? 

Thanks,20200519_075758.thumb.jpg.acd89366808ad25b29e714a56c19c8f5.jpg

You can use just one, it will be fine. 

Yeah, that's total BS. One drive is just fine.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

No, you do not need to have two drives hooked up, I don't know why the motherboard recommends that maybe they are referring to using a boot and storage drive? But it is not absolutely necessary. However, Ryzen isn't compatible with Windows Vista, you would need to upgrade the Windows Vista to Windows 10 on the computer it was originally in first then install it in the new computer. Once you get the Vista install upgraded to 10 it should work by just plugging it into the new build and making sure legacy is enabled. I would highly recommend doing a fresh install of Windows 10 and then transferring the files and documents you need over to it over upgrading the Vista install.

If the old PC that the Vista drive was in still works, hook it back up and download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to it. Run it and go through the upgrade steps. Once upgraded it will work with Ryzen as long as legacy is enabled in bios. But Ryzen itself does not support Vista so it will not work with the drive still running Windows Vista, it may try to boot but will not actually go into Windows.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, Mustardgamer21 said:

could I use the old hard and just plug it in and run windows Vista and upgrade it?

Thanks,

No, Ryzen does not support Vista, it will not boot. You will need to hook the Vista drive back up to the computer it came out of or a computer that supports Vista and upgrade it to Windows 10 before installing it in the new system.

Please remember to quote the individuals you are trying to talk to, if you don't then we will not be notified of your reply.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Vista should boot without problem, just try. If you have ps2 mouse and/or keyboard, you'll be able to install missing drivers.

That two drives, however, may be in raid on your old computer, so it may not work as easy as others said. Hard to be 100% sure.