Looking for automated way to export Chrome(Chromium) passwords

I've automated a number of backup/archiving tasks on my Linux Mint machine, but have run into one task that doesn't see doable except manually. It seems that Chrome/Chromium stores passwords in an encrypted data store, which I can easily back up, but it seems the key is tied to the current user and DOES NOT work if you have to rebuild the machine or do a full OS upgrade. I'm not interested in uploading/storing the data with Google for security reasons.

Am I wrong about any of this, or is there a way to robustly export/archive this data like there is with Firefox?

7 minutes ago, bking said:

I've automated a number of backup/archiving tasks on my Linux Mint machine, but have run into one task that doesn't see doable except manually. It seems that Chrome/Chromium stores passwords in an encrypted data store, which I can easily back up, but it seems the key is tied to the current user and DOES NOT work if you have to rebuild the machine or do a full OS upgrade. I'm not interested in uploading/storing the data with Google for security reasons.

Am I wrong about any of this, or is there a way to robustly export/archive this data like there is with Firefox?

You can start chrome with --password-store=basic, this way it will save your password as plain text in your disk.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, igormp said:

You can start chrome with --password-store=basic, this way it will save your password as plain text in your disk.

Ooh, interesting. That's what I get for not digging deeper into settings. Will it migrate my currently saved ones  too?

Just now, bking said:

Ooh, interesting. That's what I get for not digging deeper into settings. Will it migrate my currently saved ones  too?

You'll lose your current passwords, which shouldn't be a problem as long as you have password sync enabled on your google account, since it'd rebuild the password list again.

If you're not syncing with a google account, @SupaKomputa suggestion is your best bet.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Chrome really designed this badly, either in terms of the overall design or at least the UI. I clearly have passwords saved, as they are available when I access a site. Yet when I go into settings>privacy>Autofill>passwords, it shows NO saved passwords. So it's unclear to me how I could manually harvest my saved passwords in order to (re)save them locally as a text file as suggested above. Seems the only option is to do the very thing I didn't want to do from a security standpoint - sync them to Google.

Ugh, no matter what I try, I can't get Chromium to show me ANY saved passwords. But going to sites with their passwords saved works like a champ.  At this point, I just want to get all my saved passwords out and go back to FF.