Cpu bottleneck !!!

Didarul Hossain Rafi

I paired my ryzen 3 1200 with GTX 1660, 16GB ram 2400mhz. 

Most of the time my gpu only use 50-60% while cpu used 100% (50-54°) 

I wanted to wait for ryzen 4 gen till Dec'20 but this bottleneck is killing me ! 

Any recommendation ? 

Do you have an X570 motherboard? Otherwise, as it stands today, you will not be able to upgrade to Zen 3 processors. A Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300 would be plenty of power to upgrade to if you can spend some money right now.

Overclock your ram to get a boost. Is it 1x16GB or 2x8?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

2x8 stick. 

1x8 ; cheval 8GB 2400mhz ( bought 2 years ago ) 

1x8 ; gskill 8GB 3200mhz (running on 2400mhz) 

14 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Do you have an X570 motherboard? Otherwise, as it stands today, you will not be able to upgrade to Zen 3 processors. A Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300 would be plenty of power to upgrade to if you can spend some money right now.

I use b450m motherboard. 3100/ 3300x not available in my country  ! 

How will be 3500x ? 

4 hours ago, Didarul Hossain Rafi said:

I paired my ryzen 3 1200 with GTX 1660, 16GB ram 2400mhz. 

Most of the time my gpu only use 50-60% while cpu used 100% (50-54°) 

I wanted to wait for ryzen 4 gen till Dec'20 but this bottleneck is killing me ! 

Any recommendation ? 

Realistically, bumping up to at least the next level of cpu cores (6) will do you wonders. There are some significant improvements with newer generations that shouldn’t be discounted. 

The 3000 series Would be the best Performance upgrade, but will cost you more. 

I have no idea what the pricing is like where you are, so it’s hard to give any suggestions.

Is the Zen 4 coming out this year, I thought it was 2021? If so you will have a longer wait and you’ll need to decide on whether you want a mid tier upgrade or not.

edit:

you mentioned the 3500x. This is a nice chip. While not as good as the SMT enabled 3600, you will see significant boost in gaming performance over your current setup. The core improvements rival the SMT enabled previous gen in many games.

6 hours ago, Didarul Hossain Rafi said:

I use b450m motherboard. 3100/ 3300x not available in my country  ! 

How will be 3500x ? 

You should buy at least a Ryzen 5 3600. Perod. (if at least 50-60 bucks cheaper, a Ryzen 5 2600(X) is also okay, but i would prefer 3000 series).

Let it be 30-50 bucks more, but they will be WORTH it.

It was NEVER worth buying a CPU without Hyperthreading/SMT. Not 10 years ago with the first Intel Core i5 generation, not today.

Literaly, everyone who bought an i5 for Gaming from 2010 to 2018~, turned out to be a Mistake not going for the i7 in the long run.

It WILL be the same here. Years passing, and more modern Games coming (now that new Console Generation are coming, with new generation Games), missing out on SMT will hurt you in the end, and cause you to update earlier - AGAIN.

What's the Price difference between the 3500X and the 3600?

The 3600 is really cheap enough. Get that, be happy for years, and that's it ^^

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

You should buy at least a Ryzen 5 3600. Perod. (if at least 50-60 bucks cheaper, a Ryzen 5 2600(X) is also okay, but i would prefer 3000 series).

It was NEVER worth buying a CPU without Hyperthreading/SMT. Not 10 years ago with the first Intel Core i5 generation, not today.

Literaly, everyone who bought an i5 for Gaming from 2010 to 2018~, turned out to be a Mistake not going for the i7 in the long run.

It WILL be the same here. Years passing, and more modern Games coming (now that new Console Generation are coming, with new generation Games), missing out on SMT will hurt you in the end, and cause you to update earlier - AGAIN.

Here 3600 is $210 and 3500x is $170 (with tax)  

9 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

9 hours ago, Didarul Hossain Rafi said:

2x8 stick. 

Is it possible to run them on 2666 mhz ? @Fasauceome

13 hours ago, Didarul Hossain Rafi said:

2x8 stick. 

two different ram sticks??? can you double check they are running on dual channel???

for different ram sticks to run on dual channel, apart from speed, tuning of timing, voltage etc. is also required and it's not unlikely to still not work ultimately due to incompatibility.

if they are running on single channel, your ram bandwidth would be half of the optimal and of course you are going to have performance issues

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

6 hours ago, Didarul Hossain Rafi said:

Is it possible to run them on 2666 mhz ? @Fasauceome

You should definitely try, overclocking that 2400MHz dimm to a higher speed is certainly possible in some way.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, LjjlijJ said:

two different ram sticks??? can you double check they are running on dual channel???

for different ram sticks to run on dual channel, apart from speed, tuning of timing, voltage etc. is also required and it's not unlikely to still not work ultimately due to incompatibility.

if they are running on single channel, your ram bandwidth would be half of the optimal and of course you are going to have performance issues

Usually, there is no problem with Dual Channel as long they're in the correct Slots.
The faster Ram just slows down to match the slower Ram.

i've also used 2 different dimms, where literaly every single Spec was different - even the Manufacturer Name.

Worked flawlessly.

It's not the optimum, but well... He has what he has ^^

18 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Usually, there is no problem with Dual Channel as long they're in the correct Slots.

i've also used 2 different dimms, where literaly every single Spec was different - even the Manufacturer Name.

Worked flawlessly.

are you sure they are working flawlessly? issues may not be obvious when you couldn't make a comparision. I'd recommond doing more research on the matter.

anyway ram performance may not be an issue when gpu is bottlenecking but likely will be when cpu is. it's worth double checking if they are actually running on dual channel.

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

Well, to be 100% sure, he should look into CPU-Z and see which Clocks are active there (and if Dual Channel is active)

But "usually", there's no problem. Not saying, there can't be any problem.

Since it's first Gen Ryzen.. So anything could happen

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Well, to be 100% sure, he should look into CPU-Z and see which Clocks are active there (and if Dual Channel is active)

But "usually", there's no problem. Not saying, there can't be any problem.

Since it's first Gen Ryzen.. So anything could happen

4 hours ago, LjjlijJ said:

are you sure they are working flawlessly? issues may not be obvious when you couldn't make a comparision. I'd recommond doing more research on the matter.

anyway ram performance may not be an issue when gpu is bottlenecking but likely will be when cpu is. it's worth double checking if they are actually running on dual channel.

4 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Worked flawlessly.

I checked on cpu-z and it's working fine. 

16 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Not exactly true. i5's were the go to mainstream gaming for many years. Greater than 4 threads has only become a thing in the last few years. More cores are favourable over hyper threading any day.

Also, the OP is talking about upgrading to Zen4 so very long term performance may not be necessary, just enough to get them enough performance for reasonable gaming over the next year and a half or so.

I do agree that the 3600 is a FAR better option (you get the same cores AND SMT) and if the cost differential is minimal than it would be worthwhile over something like a 3500x.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:45 AM, Darkseth said:

What about buying 3300x ?? 

it has same gaming performance as 3500x. 

3600 is costly in my region, on the other hand 3300x is $27-30 less than 3500x / 2600x