Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows XP LAN Connection?

thomas.jones.7ep

Hi all!

Just wondering, is there a way to safely connect a machine running Windows XP to a lan? I realise that it's now an obsolete os and it's incredibly insecure online, but how about on a lan so it can communicate to more modern and secure machines running windows 10 etc?

I've got an industrial pc running xp with no ability to replace the pc, upgrade parts or update the os. My options are run it with zero network access and transfer all files using a usb stick (which would be a pain n the butt), or allow lan access only.

I've got a budget of around £150ish to buy any hardware or software I may need. Ideally I'd like a physical firewall dedicated to this machine situated between it and the main switch, but I'm open to all ideas and suggestions.

Keeping my fingers crossed here!

Why are you unable to update the OS?

You could just give it a local IP and not give it a gateway address. That way everything on the local network can communicate with it but it can't connect to the internet or go outside of your local network.

Inherently though, it's insecure. Having it connected in any way, even with a firewall won't resolve the issues with the OS as a whole. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Why are you unable to update the OS?

You could just give it a local IP and not give it a gateway address. That way everything on the local network can communicate with it but it can't connect to the internet or go outside of your local network.

Inherently though, it's insecure. Having it connected in any way, even with a firewall won't resolve the issues with the OS as a whole. 

The pc is in an industrial setting running on hardware that's not off the shelf and unable to be upgraded. The hardware is too old to be able to handle a modern os. I'll see what I can do regards giving it just a local ip.

13 minutes ago, thomas.jones.7ep said:

My options are run it with zero network access and transfer all files using a usb stick (which would be a pain n the butt),

Thats the best way to go.

Even if you let it just access your lan, there is a whole lot of security issues with things like smb1(which can also may copying files to it over the network harder)