Speed up computer?

I just watched this video and saw how much antiviruses can slow down a computer. I personally use McAfee. Is there a way that I can stay protected without sacrificing speed? Should I just close the program and only open it periodically for scans? Whats the best safe way to keep antiviruses from slowing down a computer? Thanks!

I am using ESET at the moment, the impact with and without is about 3 fps in games like battlefield 4 and GTA V online.

So no real issue at all. I've never had a scan while gaming and when browsing the web, the protection does not impact browsing performance at all, other than either blocking the site or a small popup window in the corner. The only disadvantage, no free version.

58 minutes ago, dangitcarl said:

I just watched this video and saw how much antiviruses can slow down a computer. I personally use McAfee. Is there a way that I can stay protected without sacrificing speed? Should I just close the program and only open it periodically for scans? Whats the best safe way to keep antiviruses from slowing down a computer? Thanks!

Yeah.. Delete it and use windows defender, and combine that with common sense. If such thing even exist any more...

• 1 month later...

windows defender is built into windows 10. i've not installed an antivirus for years and every single time i've gotten a virus (3 times over the past 7 years) it's been blocked instantly by windows defender. 3rd party antiviruses are useless and prey on the paranoid.