Question about Ray Tracing requierment

Atilla

I'm new to PC building and I'm planning on building one. I've had some evaluation on my build on a previous post. And I was pretty happy about the end result. But I have a question about Ray Tracing. Do you HAVE to have a Nvidia RTX GPU to have ray tracing? This was my original GPU and CPU I was gonna buy:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor, 4Ghz AM4 36MB Cache Wraith Prism

SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 HDMI / Triple DP OC W / BP (Uefi)

But I guess it does not support ray tracing? If not, could you give recommendations for what GPU I should use that is around the same performance, maybe of the same price category (450 euros) and that is not too much or less to run with my CPU? I currently have a power supply of 550W and 16 GB ram if that info is needed. 

Yeah, for the time being Nvidia RTX cards are the only ones that support ray tracing. You will want to look at the RTX 2070 Super for a comparable card that can also do ray tracing.

It's a little faster in most games than the 5700xt, but also a little more expensive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 @ 3800 CL16 | GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black | Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 with Arctic P12 fans | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA | Storage: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14 Redux, 4x Arctic P12 (including the 2 on rad) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C with dark tint tempered glass | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Lite | Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate | Monitor: 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 | Speakers: JVC SP-UX7000 in cherry | No RGB except the pump block is set to white. Motherboard lighting is OFF.

6 minutes ago, Atilla said:

Do you HAVE to have a Nvidia RTX GPU to have ray tracing?

No. AMD GPUs support ray tracing too but currently only Nvidia GPUs support DXR/RTX ray tracing.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

DXR/RTX ray tracing.

Never heard of that specifically. Could you care to explain this to me? I'm not that well informed, still learning. Is it used in Watchdogs legion, Battlefield V, Minecraft and Shadows of the Tomb Raider? 

15 minutes ago, atm0706 said:

You will want to look at the RTX 2070 Super for a comparable card

Thanks, will have a look at it!

9 minutes ago, Atilla said:

Never heard of that specifically. Could you care to explain this to me? I'm not that well informed, still learning. Is it used in Watchdogs legion, Battlefield V, Minecraft and Shadows of the Tomb Raider? 

Currently nvidea is the only company to hold real time ray tracing meaning you can turn it off and on and use it whenever you want ( provided the api supports it so is the game ) 

And nvidea has ray tracing cores specifically made for real time ray tracing 

As for amd the "ray tracing " that they have currently is not present and is very vague but from my understanding (and this could be wrong ) it's software ray tracing which is still not implemented in games and is still yet to come (expected with new consoles but I doubt it ) 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

34 minutes ago, atm0706 said:

Yeah, for the time being Nvidia RTX cards are the only ones that support ray tracing. You will want to look at the RTX 2070 Super for a comparable card that can also do ray tracing.

It's a little faster in most games than the 5700xt, but also a little more expensive.

^ this is true, at the moment though. Well, actually you can use DXR with Pascal GPUs as well (1060s and up iirc) but that's a whole lot worse.

RDNA2 is pretty much confirmed to feature real-time ray tracing through DX12 Ultimate, and Ampere will allegedly boost ray-tracing performance drastically over Turing.

If ray-tracing is that big of a factor in making your decision, the best option would be waiting for Ampere/RDNA2. DXR on current-gen RTX 2xxx cards is still not great, as in it tanks the performance on pretty much all of the cards in the line-up. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Yeah, you cant consider amd for ray tracing yet becuase rdna2 is not available right now. And i wouldnt even bother trying ray tracing on a GTX card. My 2070s barely manages 55fps with dlss on Minecraft 1080p lol. A 1080ti would probably be 5fps.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 @ 3800 CL16 | GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black | Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 with Arctic P12 fans | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA | Storage: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14 Redux, 4x Arctic P12 (including the 2 on rad) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C with dark tint tempered glass | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Lite | Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate | Monitor: 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 | Speakers: JVC SP-UX7000 in cherry | No RGB except the pump block is set to white. Motherboard lighting is OFF.

3 minutes ago, atm0706 said:

A 1080ti would probably be 5fps.

Oh optimization non existing lmao 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

31 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

the best option would be waiting for Ampere/RDNA2

Not planning to buy all the parts together so I can wait for some time, is there a date/month or even year announced for its release? 

10 minutes ago, Atilla said:

Not planning to buy all the parts together so I can wait for some time, is there a date/month or even year announced for its release? 

Later in this year so somewhere around September

Build Log: 

15 minutes ago, Atilla said:

Well, at the moment we've no dates set in stone for either Nvidia or AMD to launch their cards.

That being said, Nvidia finally revealed the new Ampere architecture a couple of days ago at GTC 2020, and if we take into consideration Nvidia's track record, the reveal for the new GeForce cards will be sometime in the late summer, with a release coming in late Q3 or early Q4.

For AMD, I'd expect them to come out with new offerings also around the same Q3/Q4 mark, considering the next-gen consoles will feature similar GPU architectures to RDNA2.

Don't quote me on this though as, again, there are no official release dates set for these new graphics cards at this point in time.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Atilla said:

Those ray tracing in BFV, Minecraft, SOTTR, Metro Exodus, Control use DirectX Ray Tracing a.k.a DXR. 
DXR is a subset of DirectX 12. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Raytracing.

Only Nvidia GPUs support DXR right now. 

If you haven't heard, SEUS PTGI is a shader for Minecraft that use software real time ray tracing. You can run this with AMD GPU. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |