Unstable Ping

BenO

During quarantine ive noticed that my ping is really unstable which I presume is because all of my family are using the internet, but I want to try to get my ping to be stable I currently use the default isp provided router and setting ethernet up isnt possible. I was wondering if buying a router for only myself and connecting to that would fix my issues.

No it will not. You could try powerline adapters or depending on the quality of the ISP provided modem and router possibly upgrade it to a better unit.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

No it will not. You could try powerline adapters or depending on the quality of the ISP provided modem and router possibly upgrade it to a better unit.

Thanks for the help but im slightly unsure, so buying a new router will not make my connection more stable?

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What?!

1 hour ago, BenO said:

Thanks for the help but im slightly unsure, so buying a new router will not make my connection more stable?

What gateway device (make/model) does your ISP provide?

If you just want to provide a stable connection for yourself and running ethernet is not an issue, then a simple unmanaged gigabit switch should be fine. The benefits of doing it this way are: 1.) reduced cost, 2.) no configurations to set up, and 3.) you get a reliable and fast wired connection. If you want to add a wireless router, you’ll need to set it up in access point mode to prevent double-NAT with your primary gateway device. This allows you to connect both wired and wireless clients.

Amazon usually has decent unmanaged 5 and 8-port switches from Netgear and TP-Link for under $20. Then you just need to get an appropriate length of Cat5e cable and connect everything up like this...

ISP gateway

|

|

[LAN port y]

Unmanaged switch

[LAN port z]

|

|

PC

5 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

6 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

What?!

What gateway device (make/model) does your ISP provide?

If you just want to provide a stable connection for yourself and running ethernet is not an issue, then a simple unmanaged gigabit switch should be fine. The benefits of doing it this way are: 1.) reduced cost, 2.) no configurations to set up, and 3.) you get a reliable and fast wired connection. If you want to add a wireless router, you’ll need to set it up in access point mode to prevent double-NAT with your primary gateway device. This allows you to connect both wired and wireless clients.

Amazon usually has decent unmanaged 5 and 8-port switches from Netgear and TP-Link for under $20. Then you just need to get an appropriate length of Cat5e cable and connect everything up like this...

Unfortunate I can't get a wired connection in my house. Also would buying the netgear and tp link would that require a wire from my router to them? Sorry I kind of don't entirely understand this. Also how do i check the gateway device my ISP provides is it on the back of the router?

@BenO

What I suggested requires a wired connection between devices.

The gateway device should have a label printed on it somewhere.

While you’re at it, run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer. Post the screenshots of the ‘Networks’ and ‘Analyze’ tabs. The latter should include the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectra (if available).

19 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@BenO

What I suggested requires a wired connection between devices.

The gateway device should have a label printed on it somewhere.

While you’re at it, run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer. Post the screenshots of the ‘Networks’ and ‘Analyze’ tabs. The latter should include the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectra (if available).

I believe I have the plusnet hub one 

analyse.PNG

net.PNG

@BenO

You still haven’t told us what is your gateway device make/model.

If PLUSNET is yours (notice you have both a 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi broadcast), log into the gateway’s administration interface (webUI), navigate to the Wireless controls section, and make the following changes:

1. For your 2.4GHz radio, set the wireless channel to either 6 or 11. This removes the interference from the HP Printer.
  2. For your 5GHz radio, if the channel width is 40MHz, set the wireless channel to any number between 36-40 or 149-161. If you can increase the channel width to 80MHz, set the channel to something between 149-161. The wider the channel width, the higher the potential throughput which, in your environment, should work well since there is very little 5GHz WiFi pollution.
  3. For wireless security/encryption, use WPA2-PSK-AES.

Once you’re finished in the gateway, try connecting your laptop to the PLUSNET 5GHz SSID (PLUSNET-7K3F) and run a speed test. If you get better results, move all of your important devices over to the 5GHz SSID. Leave older devices and IoT devices (like smart bulbs, smart hubs, etc.) on the 2.4GHz SSID.

If after doing all this, you’re still not satisfied with your wireless performance, it might be time to add a wireless access point. But since you absolutely can’t run ethernet, this will limit how far you can get the AP to your room. I’m not one to recommend powerline, but you can look into that or even a decent tri-band mesh system (this will improve WiFi for the entire household but comes at a hefty up-front cost). A WiFi repeater (which creates a wireless bridge) is going to worsen ping and even speeds, so ignore those.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, BenO said:

On 5/15/2020 at 5:43 PM, BenO said:

I was wondering if buying a router for only myself and connecting to that would fix my issues.

The way you worded your post makes it sound as if you want to set up a second router for yourself and use the ISP provided for everyone else. While it is possible it will not work as a completely separate router it will act as an access point, one that cannot be configured like a standard access point. If your current router is a subpar unit upgrading to a higher quality unit could fix the issue. @Falcon1986 also recommended some things you can try to fix the issue without having to purchase a new router. A lot of people are skeptical about powerline adapters as depending on the quality of power and wiring in the home they sometimes have issues. Usually homes with quality electrical work have no problem with them and they can be just as solid as having it wired directly using an ethernet cable, I have had a good success rate with them even using a set myself for a few years and had no issues but have had people I know have issues with them. Setting up an actual access point over adding a secondary router would be my recommendation it adjusting your wireless settings doesn't help your issues.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |