GPU clock problem

Pepperonis

Hey guys! So I have this problem with my gpu and its that my clock is stuck at 139mhz. I have a Dell G7 7588 laptop and the gpu is a 1060maxq. The gpu clock also sometimes fluctuates. If you guys could help it would mean the world to me as I am desperate right now. Thanks again!

did you put high performance in the nvidia control panel? and the power settings in the laptop?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

1 minute ago, MartinKweh said:

did you put high performance in the nvidia control panel? and the power settings in the laptop?

I do have high performance on nvidia but im not sure how to check in the power settings.

on start menu, open power and sleep settings

then select, additional power setting

from there, select, high performance. 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

3 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

on start menu, open power and sleep settings

then select, additional power setting

from there, select, high performance. 

Ok so I do not have high performance but i do have ultimate performance. I have put it on ultimate but nothing seems to change.

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

do you mean that its stuck at 139mhz when gaming?

because its normal if there's no stress on the gpu

Yes it is stuck at 139mhz when gaming. when idle and doing nothing it is also stuck there. Sometimes it will fluctuate from 139 to id say 1500.

Just now, Pepperonis said:

Yes it is stuck at 139mhz when gaming. when idle and doing nothing it is also stuck there. Sometimes it will fluctuate from 139 to id say 1500.

did you update the drivers recently? 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

Thanks guys for helping me with this problem. More info on the problem, I do use liquid metal on both cpu and gpu. the cpu is fine but the gpu isnt. I also just did a repaste of liquid metal today.

Just now, MartinKweh said:

did you update the drivers recently? 

No i have not. I actually saw some things on drivers though when trying to look for help. Also for more info, I do have liquid metal on my gpu and cpu. cpu is fine but gpu isnt. I also just did a repaste of liquid metal today. My temps are looking different from what Im seeing. They are at 85 degrees celcius when gaming(not normal, ususally 77 degrees celcius)and 77 degrees celcius idle(normal).

1 minute ago, Pepperonis said:

No i have not. I actually saw some things on drivers though when trying to look for help. Also for more info, I do have liquid metal on my gpu and cpu. cpu is fine but gpu isnt. I also just did a repaste of liquid metal today. My temps are looking different from what Im seeing. They are at 85 degrees celcius when gaming(not normal, ususally 77 degrees celcius)and 77 degrees celcius idle(normal).

Sorry i forgot to add, those temps are only on the gpu.

Just now, Pepperonis said:

oof then you might have either

a. missed a spot

b. made an air bubble

c. not enough contact

d. not enough pressure. 

try to remount it if possible. and check if there is a driver update. and see if it solve it.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

Just now, MartinKweh said:

oof then you might have either

a. missed a spot

b. made an air bubble

c. not enough contact

d. not enough pressure. 

try to remount it if possible. and check if there is a driver update. and see if it solve it.

Yes i actually was thinking that. Also one question. With liquid metal if you miss a spot will it affect the performance or just anything in general?

Yes i actually was thinking that. Also one question. With liquid metal if you miss a spot will it affect the performance or just anything in general?

laptops in general have a fully exposed die that needs to be cooled. unlike desktop CPU with heat spreaders, laptop GPU.CPU dies do not. you must completely cover the top of the die with the compound for maximum cooling. otherwise the spot with no thermal paste/liquid metal will overheat. and thus thermal throttle to the lowest clock speed to prevent it self from burning out.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

2 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

laptops in general have a fully exposed die that needs to be cooled. unlike desktop CPU with heat spreaders, laptop GPU.CPU dies do not. you must completely cover the top of the die with the compound for maximum cooling. otherwise the spot with no thermal paste/liquid metal will overheat. and thus thermal throttle to the lowest clock speed to prevent it self from burning out.

Thanks for the advice, but the thing is i've actually repasted 3 times today. the first time it was not good. clock speed on gpu was fluctuating. 2nd time was better but still bad. and the third time is right now, stuck at 139mhz. Tomorrow i will do another repaste and I hope to god it works. If it does not work though, Im out of ideas. I just have a really bad feeling the gpu is dead even though in device manager it says it is working properly.

Have you checked 3 times that you didnt spill anything? Check all around the die and cpu for a 3rd and 4th time.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

8 minutes ago, Pepperonis said:

Thanks for the advice, but the thing is i've actually repasted 3 times today. the first time it was not good. clock speed on gpu was fluctuating. 2nd time was better but still bad. and the third time is right now, stuck at 139mhz. Tomorrow i will do another repaste and I hope to god it works. If it does not work though, Im out of ideas. I just have a really bad feeling the gpu is dead even though in device manager it says it is working properly.

14 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

Ok so I have one more question. Sorry for bothering you so much but if the repaste does not work do you have any ideas i should try?

1 minute ago, crosstiger said:

Have you checked 3 times that you didnt spill anything? Check all around the die and cpu for a 3rd and 4th time.

I will make sure that will not happen for the 4th repaste. hopefully it will solve my problem. Also, i do have a layer of acrylic conformal coating around both of my dies. If anything gets on that coating will anything happen?

5 minutes ago, Pepperonis said:

Ok so I have one more question. Sorry for bothering you so much but if the repaste does not work do you have any ideas i should try?

a that point, i would look towards driver issues. it happens sometimes when something gets corrupted. try using DDU and uninstall the current Nvidia drivers then reinstall it. if the repaste and the driver reinstall doesnt work, im out of ideas.

edit: additionally,i hope you didnt break the heatpipes(bending/denting ect) since that could also cause the overheating.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

1 minute ago, MartinKweh said:

a that point, i would look towards driver issues. it happens sometimes when something gets corrupted. try using DDU and uninstall the current Nvidia drivers then reinstall it. if the repaste and the driver reinstall doesnt work, im out of ideas.

Alright. Thanks so much for you help! I really do not know what I would be doing if I didnt get any help from you. If I do have anymore question for you is that ok as I try to do the driver idea you gave me? If you do not want to I understand and no hard feelings. Thanks so much again! I'll keep this topic updated as I try to fix my problem.

3 minutes ago, Pepperonis said:

I will make sure that will not happen for the 4th repaste. hopefully it will solve my problem. Also, i do have a layer of acrylic conformal coating around both of my dies. If anything gets on that coating will anything happen?

It shouldnt affect it. But you can never be sure.

If all fail I would use regular paste just to rule that out and then go through all the software things.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

Alright. Thanks so much for you help! I really do not know what I would be doing if I didnt get any help from you. If I do have anymore question for you is that ok as I try to do the driver idea you gave me? If you do not want to I understand and no hard feelings. Thanks so much again! I'll keep this topic updated as I try to fix my problem.

its fine. currently, its like 2-5 am in the USA so its most likely the reason that there is less people here right now.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

Just now, crosstiger said:

It shouldnt affect it. But you can never be sure.

If all fail I would use regular paste just to rule that out and then go through all the software things.

Alright I will see what I can do and hopefully fix my problem. Thank you very much for the help. Ill try to keep this topic updated.

2 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

its fine. currently, its like 2-5 am in the USA so its most likely the reason that there is less people here right now.

You are right haha. Thanks again!

Update: on my forth repaste right now. Hope for the best. 

15895737060811126691519486512869.jpg