Xbox Wireless Controller for Windows 10

m0k

I'm planning on buying an official Xbox Wireless Controller for my PC. My PC already has a Bluetooth adapter

four questions :

1. Is Bluetooth all i need to connect to the controller?
2. What does the Xbox wireless adapter for Windows 10 do? I'm only planning on using one controller on this PC.
3. Does the Xbox wireless adapter provide lower latency compared to Bluetooth?
4. Will the controller work over a wired connection?

Thanks.

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1) If you want to use bluetooth, you need to get the newer controller that came with the Xbox One S and X, the earlier ones didn't have bluetooth. 

2) The wireless adapter is for the older controller that didn't have bluetooth.

3) I don't know, I think it's more of if you have an older controller you use the adapter, if you have a newer one you use bluetooth.

4) Yes, the controller works if you connect is using a USB cable (the same way you would charge it).

Edit: By the way here's how to tell if a controller has bluetooth or not, taken from a PCMag article:

To determine whether you have a Bluetooth or non-Bluetooth Xbox One controller, you need to look at the plastic surrounding the Guide button. If it's the same plastic as the face of the controller, without any seams, you have a Bluetooth gamepad. If it's the same plastic as the bumper buttons, with a seam between the guide Guide button and the face of the controller, it's a non-Bluetooth gamepad.

image.png.fc25157b660742e0083442164ccfe6b9.png

Article: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-use-an-xbox-one-controller-on-a-pc

they only provide Bluetooth for wireless connection, from my experience it works fine.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

2 hours ago, m0k said:

I'm planning on buying an official Xbox Wireless Controller for my PC. My PC already has a Bluetooth adapter

four questions :

1. Is Bluetooth all i need to connect to the controller?
2. What does the Xbox wireless adapter for Windows 10 do? I'm only planning on using one controller on this PC.
3. Does the Xbox wireless adapter provide lower latency compared to Bluetooth?
4. Will the controller work over a wired connection?

Thanks.

In my experience the adapter is worth having.  You can connect up to 8 controllers with it but more importantly it allows you to use Xbox one accessories as you would on an Xbox One. For example my headset just automagically connects to my PC with no extra dongles and I just use Bluetooth to connect my phone to them. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, If I have my Xbox Controller connected via Bluetooth, is there a way to get windows to warn me when my battery is getting low in the controller? Mine keeps dying mid game and it would be nice if i could set-up a low battery notification. Thanks.

15 hours ago, 23matthew said:

Hi all, If I have my Xbox Controller connected via Bluetooth, is there a way to get windows to warn me when my battery is getting low in the controller? Mine keeps dying mid game and it would be nice if i could set-up a low battery notification. Thanks.

You can check the battery by pressing the Xbox button to bring up the UI. I do it every hour or two to check. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?