Why are power supplies so expensive?

Legolessed

Im sorry if this is in the wrong section but I was wondering why power supplies had gine up in price? I heard some people mention it and then googled it and the prices were near or above $100. Am i just not remembering how expensive PSU's are or have the drastically gone up in price? Thank you!

25% tariffs, and I'm guessing also reduced production due to COVID-19, and increased demand due to more people working from home/having more spare time.

:)

I don't think $100 is considered a lot for a PSU. Even when I build my first rig years ago that wasn't "a lot". I think something that's sending electricity into thousands of dollars of very sensitive computer parts should be build with quality, durability, reliability, and safety. It's a very overlooked part of PCs.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

51 minutes ago, seon123 said:

25% tariffs, and I'm guessing also reduced production due to COVID-19, and increased demand due to more people working from home/having more spare time.

Even know that the supply chain is back to normal in China, the shipping situation is completely whack.

There's fewer flights and most of the cargo is PPE.  It's just too expensive to book air freight right now.

https://www.stattimes.com/news/while-passenger-flights-stay-on-ground-freight-rates-are-flying-high-air-cargo/

And if you put product on the water, it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get it from China to a U.S. port.

34 minutes ago, Statik said:

I don't think $100 is considered a lot for a PSU. 

$100 is a lot if you're used to buying potatos.

Computer power supplies are pretty cheap for their specs and quality as they're mainstream high volume parts.

Things like industrial power supplies can cost a lot more to get a lot less.