Question Regarding Linux Help Here

Would it be good to have a sticky with most commonly answered questions?

What things would you recommend we include?

some ideas I had:

• How to burn an ISO to a disk in different operating systems
  • How to add a user
  • How to modify a group
  • How to change permissions
  • How to do a symlink (and what they are for)
  • How to change file permissions
  • What is a distro / package manager and how do they work together?
  • What is efi and how does it work?
  • How do I set nomodeset (seems to pop up quite a bit)
  • Common keyboard commands (looking at you CTRL+SHIFT+C / Vand ALT+F2 / ALT+F7)
  • difference between yum, deb and pacman

Right now, I'm just looking for a list of common problems, and then thinking we could as a group write up different answers and perhaps this will help folks faster than them having to ask the same questions and waiting hours / days to get an answer to a simple question.

One concern I can see off the bat is this could get monolithic, but I think if we could organize it properly we could perhaps keep it tidy and easily searchable.
Maybe put certain items above the fold?

Thoughts, concerns?

Not a bad idea, only problem here is that some of these instructions would change depending on distribution.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

6 minutes ago, jdfthetech said:
  • How to burn an ISO to a disk in different operating systems
  • How to add a user
  • How to modify a group
  • How to change permissions
  • How to do a symlink (and what they are for)
  • How to change file permissions
  • What is a distro / package manager and how do they work together?
  • What is efi and how does it work?

I feel like all this information is readily available to anyone through a quick google search and other things like shortcuts and package manager information are way too specific for a "look here first" pinned thread. Also I think we should avoid wiki article style threads because, well, there are wikis and manual pages for that.

We already have a sort of master thread by @Ashley xD for "gaming on Linux" questions and guides:

so maybe we could start by getting that one pinned @leadeater @LogicalDrm @wkdpaul ?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

so maybe we could start by getting that one pinned @leadeater @LogicalDrm @wkdpaul ?

not gonna happen, i asked that in DM's already. it apparantly doesn't contain the info that most threads here ask. 

She/Her

@jdfthetech:

Would it be good to have a sticky with most commonly answered questions?

Definitely, following the KISS rule, of course!

There are already quite a lot of resources out there. IMO it would be a good idea to have a list of outside sources, perhaps under subsections such as:

1. Linux file system (common hierarchy, mount points, users, groups; different actual file systems)
  2. basics of command line
  3. Basics of partitioning and basics of bootloaders (difference between UEFI and BIOS booting)
  4. Introduction to software repositories / package manager (what are they? How do I install software on Linux distributions?); list / examples of different package managers

However I think it is a bad idea to have specific answers in a thread like this for the reasons already mentioned. Also, looking for information via internet and on the computer itself is an important meta-skill for any Linux usage (or any computer usage). If one can not do that, then better stick to using Windows, OS X, or gaming consoles.

Most newbies neglect to provide adequate hardware information,  A standardized criterion for providing such would be best, IMO.  For example, using inxi or something similar from their Windows machine for giving such info should be required.

Knowing the newbie's intended usage of the hardware in question is also necessary.  These two fundamental facts should be clearly defined.  They need to be drilled into the consciousness of every person using the forum, from the outset.

I've seen stickies like HOW TO ASK A QUESTION in other forums.  They are a very good idea, IMHO.

This would be complementary to your original list of ideas, jdfthetech!