Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts on Alienware M15 refresh?

Hey guys, I've been a desktop guy all my life, but now i'm off to college so its time for me to upgrade from my aging desktop to a fancy new laptop. Personally I would love to get the Razer blade or Blade Stealth, but I've owned other Razer products over the years and just about every one of the has broken prematurely due to poor quality, so I'm not willing to trust them with a $1500+ investment. I've had my eye on the alienware M15, but it hasn't been refreshed with the 10 series processors or the new Super GPUs, and although the chassis and display seem perfect the hardware just seems too dated compared to the new offerings this summer. Basically what i'm asking is do you guys think the M15 will get a refresh between now an fall? and if not do you think the M15 is still worth buying? Also I would love any other laptop recommendations you guys may have, price isn't really a major issues for me.

Just now, Klingon802 said:

Hey guys, I've been a desktop guy all my life, but now i'm off to college so its time for me to upgrade from my aging desktop to a fancy new laptop. Personally I would love to get the Razer blade or Blade Stealth, but I've owned other Razer products over the years and just about every one of the has broken prematurely due to poor quality, so I'm not willing to trust them with a $1500+ investment. I've had my eye on the alienware M15, but it hasn't been refreshed with the 10 series processors or the new Super GPUs, and although the chassis and display seem perfect the hardware just seems too dated compared to the new offerings this summer. Basically what i'm asking is do you guys think the M15 will get a refresh between now an fall? and if not do you think the M15 is still worth buying? Also I would love any other laptop recommendations you guys may have, price isn't really a major issues for me.

I would avoid the whole alienware line. They have a history of building their stuff with very little focus on cooling design which leads to thermal throttling of components and performance problems. Please do yourself a favor and ovoid alienware computers. Linus talks about alienware as well as some other brands to look out for as well as price to performance in this video.  

Hi @Klingon802

I don't know about the refresh, I think the M15 R2 is still pretty fresh in their lineup. Alienware is a weird brand. On one hand, they have a rich history and a huge global brand behind them (Dell of course), but on the other, they're famous for their thermal and battery issues, and after so many years, they still don't seem to be able to figure out how to properly cool their laptops. It's true. However, if you're someone who's not afraid to mess with things like undervolting or take your laptop apart to repaste it (and that got harder with the R2), you will likely be able to lower your temps considerably and have a great overall experience. A lot of people like to talk about AW machines running at 100 degrees C, but for the 9th Gen i7 or i9 CPUs, 100 degrees is normal, per Intel (it's crazy, but that's what they say). In fact, Razer Blade with similar specs runs just as hot. I don't know about all the brands, but it's definitely not just AW problem. 

Personally, I just bought a new m15 R1 with 9750H and 1660Ti, last week. For a couple of reasons, one of the main ones being the price (great deals can be found on the R1). It still offers plenty of power, and yes it also runs hot, but I'm going to repaste it in the next few days. I'm not a fan of the latest m15 R2 design, I think it looks too much like Dell G3 or G5, plus I don't like that RAM is soldered on, and the mobo is reversed, making it a bit harder to take apart. But in line with AW famous questionable quality (usually great, my last AW m14x lasted 7.5 years before I sold it in perfect working condition, but not always), my new laptop has a 16% battery wear after less than one week of ownership, and Dell is already sending a tech to replace the battery (this is where having Dell as the big daddy is a good thing, service is usually pretty good), so I'm hoping that with a new battery and some fresh Arctic MX4 thermal paste, it can become a laptop to last me another 7 years... but I still have 3 weeks to return it if anything goes wrong.

Conclusion. I think a lot of Alienware owners secretly love the clunky experience;) even if we do complain a lot. The bad thermals is probably an overrated issue. There are easy ways to improve them, and even without that, it only gets that hot under very heavy loads and some games, during normal use it stays around 60-70 degrees, which is not amazing, but nothing extreme either. I can only recommend it if you're a somewhat technical person (and I assume you are because you're on this Forum) and not afraid to mess around with its hardware. If that's you, I'm sure you will love it.