Laptop GTX 1060 very picky about games

So a friend of mine has been having issues with his Asus FX503VM, in which he can only play certain games at the 1060's full performance, but can't play others, and occasionally will get his GPU idling at the thermal limit of 99C.
To be more specific, he can play Dishonored and Rising Storm 2 perfectly fine, both very intense games, but can only get a measly 4-7fps out of Minecraft (no shaders or mods) and Starbound.
I'm completely stumped, I've told him to try everything, from setting the power states to performance, to using graphics settings to make windows use the 1060 for games. Anyone have any ideas?

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

Can try setting a preferred GPU manually through Windows 10 settings application. 

Probably a problem with the driver configuration or settings on the laptop, for me best bet would be to reinstall drivers. Also to look for the best compatible Nvidia driver for his specific laptop and Dgpu. New drivers do not mean better results or more fixes

On 5/11/2020 at 7:46 PM, bindydad123 said:

Can try setting a preferred GPU manually through Windows 10 settings application. 

That's what we did, it didn't help much at all, maybe max 13fps in minecraft

15 hours ago, javidben said:

Probably a problem with the driver configuration or settings on the laptop, for me best bet would be to reinstall drivers. Also to look for the best compatible Nvidia driver for his specific laptop and Dgpu. New drivers do not mean better results or more fixes

We're gonna try using DDU to reinstall a newer driver.

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???