Silent optical switches

Arleccino

Does anyone know of any brand or manufacturer that makes 'silent' optical switches?

I recently received a kickstarter backed keyboard that I had planned to place silent brown switches into (upstroke clack annoys me). Well to my surprise, as I did not read properly before backing, the thing turned out to be an optical keyboard so I have hit a wall with my plans.

Depending on the switch, you might be able to swap the stem for a silent one. Alternatively, it might be compatible with QMX clips

:)

22 hours ago, seon123 said:

Depending on the switch, you might be able to swap the stem for a silent one. Alternatively, it might be compatible with QMX clips

Do QMX clips do anything for upstroke click? I thought they only help with downstroke (like an o-ring).

The switches currently are Gateron Optical Red.

I know it's a cherry silent red but if you look at the damper for the upstroke, maybe you can try to see if your switches can be modified by adding some kind of pads to reduce the upstroke.  That's something that also bothers me a lot so I understand how you might feel. 

https://graphicscardhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/cherry-mx-silent-sound-dampeners.jpg

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 5/12/2020 at 6:12 PM, Arleccino said:

Do QMX clips do anything for upstroke click? I thought they only help with downstroke (like an o-ring).

The switches currently are Gateron Optical Red.

They do dampen the upstroke. That's part of why I recommended them :3

I was not able to find any good images of the stem, but it looks like a normal stem might fit? 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11150/tesoro-excalibur-se-spectrum-review-gateron-optical-switches/2

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

They do dampen the upstroke. That's part of why I recommended them :3

I was not able to find any good images of the stem, but it looks like a normal stem might fit? 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11150/tesoro-excalibur-se-spectrum-review-gateron-optical-switches/2

Stems fit, but optical switches need a longer stem than you get on standard switches (I already tried swapping over some other reds I had)

6 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I know it's a cherry silent red but if you look at the damper for the upstroke, maybe you can try to see if your switches can be modified by adding some kind of pads to reduce the upstroke.  That's something that also bothers me a lot so I understand how you might feel. 

https://graphicscardhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/cherry-mx-silent-sound-dampeners.jpg

Hopefully they give us 'silent' version soon. Heck I would buy a bag of just silent stems if that became an option.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:46 PM, Arleccino said:

I would buy a bag of just silent stems if that became an option.

Yes that would be a great way to be cost effective. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD