Hard Drive Stopped Working and Began to Make a Beeping/Clicking Noise

blobmello

So today I turned on my computer and my HDD (Hitachi 1-TB SATA HDD) began to make a beeping and clicking noise. I searched online and read that it was most likely a mechanical issue and that the HDD spinners were stuck in place so I opened it up but found nothing out of the ordinary. When I plugged it back in with the cover open the reader would spin onto the disk for a second and then go back to its resting place and repeat. 

I attached a video of the beeping noise.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks!

You... opened it?  Most hard drives these days are helium filled.  By opened do you mean remove the screws and crack it open and look inside in the middle of your living room or something?

whelp.. if it wasn’t dead before it sure is now...  I suggest buying a new drive.  An ssd this time. A cheap one that is glued together. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It probably can't find the tracks on the disk any more, they don't last forever.

Opening it up letting dust in guarantees further surface damage.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Bombastinator said:

You... opened it?  Most hard drives these days are helium filled.

I wouldn't say most, still only a minority are helium filled.  But opening it up is certainly guaranteed to kill it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I wouldn't say most, still only a minority are helium filled.  But opening it up is certainly guaranteed to kill it.

I liked the word “helium”. it had punch.  Better than inert gas filled.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You... opened it?  Most hard drives these days are helium filled.  By opened do you mean remove the screws and crack it open and look inside in the middle of your living room or something?

whelp.. if it wasn’t dead before it sure is now...  I suggest buying a new drive.  An ssd this time. A cheap one that is glued together. 

Uh yea I did open it (just the screws), unfortunately I didn't know that would cause even further harm. I plugged it back in and its still doing the same thing.

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

It probably can't find the tracks on the disk any more, they don't last forever.

Opening it up letting dust in guarantees further surface damage.

That sucks, I had some documents that would be nice to have. You reckon its gone forever?

37 minutes ago, blobmello said:

That sucks, I had some documents that would be nice to have. You reckon its gone forever?

There are ways if the data is worth a few grand.  Or were before the thing got opened.  I’d like to say everybody does that once, but they probably don’t.  I did.  There are some fun really powerful magnets inside and the platter is super shiney.  They make great coasters. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

There are ways if the data is worth a few grand.  Or were before the thing got opened.  I’d like to say everybody does that once, but they probably don’t.  I did.  There are some fun really powerful magnets inside and the platter is super shiney.  They make great coasters. 

Ya idk I was searching on the internet for people with the same issue and it seemed that the majority fixed it by just opening the cover and twisting the dial in the middle to get the reader unstuck :/