Need advice EVGA rtx 2070 super or rx5700

I am thinking about getting EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra+, Overclocked, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Triple + iCX2, 65C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 15.5GHz 8GB GDDR6, 08 for a temporary gpu until I get enough money saved up to get the EVGA rtx2080ti. But someone also told me that the rx5700xt is basically as good almost is the rtx 2070 super better because I'm going to want to sell it when I upgrade so I want something that's gonna be able to sell easily as well as hold it's value

Neither of these. NVidia will release 3000 series this year (probably about summer) and AMD will also release their new Navi lineup. Buying a GPU now would be a waste of money, unless you really have to upgrade / buy one right now.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X | GPU: Vega 64   | RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z | Storage:  Samsung 850 / Corsair MP510  | Mainboard: ASUS X570 Prime Pro | Case: Fractal Define R6 | PSU: Corsair RM750i  | Cooling: Custom Waterloop

Oh shit is upgrades on CPU as well and how soon are we talking 

I think it's something like August, for sure by September, Nvidia 3000 series will be around, and the new Ryzen 4000 series chips will be around.

That being said, if you're rolling an R5 1600AF or better, Ryzen 4000 would probably be diminished returns for FPS.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

2 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

I think it's something like August, for sure by September, Nvidia 3000 series will be around, and the new Ryzen 4000 series chips will be around.

That being said, if you're rolling an R5 1600AF or better, Ryzen 4000 would probably be diminished returns for FPS.

+ AMD will release Navi somewhere around october - december.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X | GPU: Vega 64   | RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z | Storage:  Samsung 850 / Corsair MP510  | Mainboard: ASUS X570 Prime Pro | Case: Fractal Define R6 | PSU: Corsair RM750i  | Cooling: Custom Waterloop

To answer the question:

The RT 5700 XT is behind the 2070 super in the vast majority of games; however, for the price difference the framerate separation between them or the overall performance is very low.  The RT 5700 XT is far better value for money.

Good video here doing a comparison over several games and prices things per frame which is a nice way of comparing similar performance with price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVl9kOde89g&t

As to the speculation on releases, bear in mind it is speculation.  Nvidia are merely teasing right now with their 'get amped' nonsense and from my memory, I think it was about 12 months from Nvidia teasing the 2000 series of graphics cards before they hit the shelves.  That may be different, especially if AMD pushes out a competitive card.

But AMD have not managed to push out a competitive card yet and their top of the line (let's do AMD a favour and pretend the Radeon VII doesn't exist) only reaches as far as the 2070 super - which it doesn't match - which still leave the 2080, the 2080 super and the 2080 ti as a gap for them to fill.  So I don't think Nvidia are running scared just yet.

Also bear in mind the current situation will likely have delayed many things, and I would hazard a guess that this includes GPUs.

As to CPUs more realistic to say sooner rather than later based on the fact that AMD are pushing out series 4000 laptop CPUs, therefore making it seem more likely that the 4000 desktop CPUs will follow soon, though again, no concrete release date announced.