60FPS game on 60Hz vs 60+Hz monitor

luanbk

Hi everyone, i have a 75hz monitor Acer VG240Y. When i play games at 60FPS on 75Hz refresh rate (default refresh rate), the game performance is little bit laggy, not smooth. But, when i change the refresh rate to 60Hz, then play the same games at 60FPS, the game performance is extremely smooth, no more laggy as it is at 75Hz refresh rate. I dont know why it performs weird like that. Is this normal or monitor's error or something? Does this also happen on other 144Hz, 240Hz monitor?

Sounds like your game is just stuttering. This guide should have possible solutions.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

10 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Sounds like your game is just stuttering. This guide should have possible solutions.

Why the game performs smooth at 60Hz but not 75Hz?

51 minutes ago, luanbk said:

My understanding is that the monitor is replaying the same frames multiple times which looks like the game is unresponsive and laggy.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 hour ago, luanbk said:

Because your frame rate wasn't the same as the refresh rate. Think of the refresh rate like the number of pages in a flip book, and the frame rate as the number of pages that have drawings on them. If you have 60 drawings on a flip book with 75 pages, then 15 of those pages will be blank. That's what creates a stutter. If you were doing a flip book of a ball rolling, it would appear to stop moving several times each second.

This is why 144hz monitors were rarely a good idea before FreeSync and G-Sync. Very few people had the hardware needed to run a steady 144fps.

Edit: @zeusthemoose Basically, yes.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Because your frame rate wasn't the same as the refresh rate. Think of the refresh rate like the number of pages in a flip book, and the frame rate as the number of pages that have drawings on them. If you have 60 drawings on a flip book with 75 pages, then 15 of those pages will be blank. That's what creates a stutter. If you were doing a flip book of a ball rolling, it would appear to stop moving several times each second.

This is why 144hz monitors were rarely a good idea before FreeSync and G-Sync. Very few people had the hardware needed to run a steady 144fps.

Edit: @zeusthemoose Basically, yes.

So if i play games at 60FPS on monitor 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, the game will perform more laggy?

11 hours ago, luanbk said:

So if i play games at 60FPS on monitor 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, the game will perform more laggy?

On a 120hz or 240hz monitor it will perform the same, because it can just display a frame every 2 or 4 frames.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

So, in summary, 60 fps @ 60 Hz feels different than 60 fps @ 144 Hz?

Just out of curiosity, could anyone explain to me why?

I know it has been said that frames "freeze" until the next one is rendered, but how does that work for a 60 Hz monitor? Wouldn't the frame stay "frozen" for 1/60 th of a second too?

I'm asking that, because I have a 144 Hz monitor and I simply cannot play games at 60 fps anymore, even with FreeSync (which is one of the reasons for which I kind of regret buying a gaming monitor).

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Naabjenia said:

Just out of curiosity, could anyone explain to me why?

I know it has been said that frames "freeze" until the next one is rendered, but how does that work for a 60 Hz monitor? Wouldn't the frame stay "frozen" for 1/60 th of a second too?

The reason it doesn’t look bad when the monitor is at 60fps is because it is showing each frame once instead of a higher refresh rate which would display the same frames multiple times. The stuttering isn’t caused by the frame being “frozen” but by the same frame being showed multiple times.

11 minutes ago, Naabjenia said:

I'm asking that, because I have a 144 Hz monitor and I simply cannot play games at 60 fps anymore, even with FreeSync

What graphics card are you using? FreeSync only works with AMD Cards. The way FreeSync and GSync work is by constantly changing the refresh rate of your monitor to match the number of frames being output by your computer. Doing this means that each frame is shown only once and you get a smooth lag free experience.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

7 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

The reason it doesn’t look bad when the monitor is at 60fps is because it is showing each frame once instead of a higher refresh rate which would display the same frames multiple times. The stuttering isn’t caused by the frame being “frozen” but by the same frame being showed multiple times.

What graphics card are you using? FreeSync only works with AMD Cards. The way FreeSync and GSync work is by constantly changing the refresh rate of your monitor to match the number of frames being output by your computer. Doing this means that each frame is shown only once and you get a smooth lag free experience.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the explanation.

About FreeSync, I expressed myself poorly. I got a GTX 1060 and the monitor is G-Sync compatible. The reason I regret it is not because of Free/G-Sync itself, but because even with this feature activated, my games feel laggy when playing below 90 fps. But I guess that's because I got used to the feeling of 144 fps @ 144 Hz in CS:GO.

When I bought the monitor, I thought FPS below 144 would feel smooth with G-Sync on, that's it.