Intermittent ethernet disconnects

xnoobftw
Go to solution Solved by xnoobftw,
On 5/9/2020 at 2:05 AM, Falcon1986 said:

Gotcha!

You should really be running the AX58U in access point mode if you want to avoid double NAT and the slowdowns/hiccups associated with it. Then, disable AiMesh thereafter if it’s still activated.

OH!!! i tthink i managed to resolve the issue.

What i did was separated all the ethernet cables going into the router (i had them all cable tied previously together)

and scheduled a daily reboot @ 4am and that seem to fix the issue

Hi, my ethernet has been dropping really randomly (like there's no pattern) and at a very sparse rate (maybe once per 2 days)

What i've done

1) upgraded router to asus AX58U

2) bought an ethernet pcie card (realtek gigabit)

3) reformatted pc and reinstalled drivers

the wifi and other devices works fine during this period

I've asked here previously and it was mentioned that the cable is highly unlikely to cause this issue

The thing is im really only left with the cable as the issue xD

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

My best guess is that you're running into some sort of interference, which might require you to purchase shielded ethernet cables. I'm not all too familiar with this myself, but you might find this article to be helpful.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 hour ago, PorkishPig said:

My best guess is that you're running into some sort of interference, which might require you to purchase shielded ethernet cables. I'm not all too familiar with this myself, but you might find this article to be helpful.

hmmm but the route from the router to my pc is through a trunk and inside that trunk its just the cable itself

im plugged directly into the router (not extended via wall RJ45 connection)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

31 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

hmmm but the route from the router to my pc is through a trunk and inside that trunk its just the cable itself

Based on my understanding, heat/cold/humidity, florescent lights, or even just poorly made cables can cause interference. I would give shielded cables a shot anyways, since it's probably not an issue with your hardware.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

4 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

Hi, my ethernet has been dropping really randomly (like there's no pattern) and at a very sparse rate (maybe once per 2 days)

What i've done

1) upgraded router to asus AX58U

2) bought an ethernet pcie card (realtek gigabit)

3) reformatted pc and reinstalled drivers

the wifi and other devices works fine during this period

I've asked here previously and it was mentioned that the cable is highly unlikely to cause this issue

The thing is im really only left with the cable as the issue xD

What is the Asus AX58U plugged in to? Exact make and model, please.

2 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

1. What is this trunk?
  2. What category of ethernet is it?
  3. Did you crimp this cable yourself or was it pre-crimped?
  4. Have you tried a different pre-crimped cable altogether?

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What is the Asus AX58U plugged in to? Exact make and model, please.

1. What is this trunk?
  2. What category of ethernet is it?
  3. Did you crimp this cable yourself or was it pre-crimped?
  4. Have you tried a different pre-crimped cable altogether?

The ax58u is connected via WAN port to my ISP's Huawei Echolife HG8240h modem and it's fibre (500mbps up down)

Then it's connected to my computer's ethernet port(the onboard motherboard's killer gigabit and pcie ethernet card have the same issues so I doubt it's the port on my mobo)

1) the trunk is just some plastic trunk I got from a hardware store

2) cat 7 flat cable

3) precrimped 20m cable

4) nope

7 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

Based on my understanding, heat/cold/humidity, florescent lights, or even just poorly made cables can cause interference. I would give shielded cables a shot anyways, since it's probably not an issue with your hardware.

All the lights in my place are LED T.T I may just replace the cable if it comes down to it but its a pain

3 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

1) the trunk is just some plastic trunk I got from a hardware store

What's the purpose of this?

3 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

The ax58u is connected via WAN port to my ISP's Huawei Echolife HG8240h modem and it's fibre (500mbps up down)

That Huawei ONT is an internet gateway. So it has its own router/NAT. Are you, therefore, running the AX58U in bridged/AP mode? See Advanced Settings > Administration > Operation Mode.

Also, I notice that the AX58U includes what looks like a lot of security features through AiProtection. While having a few of these active might not be a problem, having them all all takes a hit on the CPU at some point (especially things like IPS). Try temporarily turning AiProtection off to see if the problem persists. You can always use 3rd party DNS providers (e.g. CloudFlare, Quad9) for filtering.

6 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What's the purpose of this?

That Huawei ONT is an internet gateway. So it has its own router/NAT. Are you, therefore, running the AX58U in bridged/AP mode? See Advanced Settings > Administration > Operation Mode.

Also, I notice that the AX58U includes what looks like a lot of security features through AiProtection. While having a few of these active might not be a problem, having them all all takes a hit on the CPU at some point (especially things like IPS). Try temporarily turning AiProtection off to see if the problem persists. You can always use 3rd party DNS providers (e.g. CloudFlare, Quad9) for filtering.

The purpose of the trunk is for wife approval. I can't exactly have 20 meters of ethernet cable running through the house in a straight line xD

IMG_20200508_180957.thumb.jpg.63df7149111043bb976f0b2f3cc41099.jpg

It's currently in router mode!!

As for the AI protection I'll give it a shot... The thing is only my wired connection is affected. The WiFi side of things are perfectly fine when my ethernet is hit :(

7 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

The purpose of the trunk is for wife approval. I can't exactly have 20 meters of ethernet cable running through the house in a straight line xD

Gotcha!

7 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

It's currently in router mode!!

You should really be running the AX58U in access point mode if you want to avoid double NAT and the slowdowns/hiccups associated with it. Then, disable AiMesh thereafter if it’s still activated.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:05 AM, Falcon1986 said:

Gotcha!

OH!!! i tthink i managed to resolve the issue.

What i did was separated all the ethernet cables going into the router (i had them all cable tied previously together)

and scheduled a daily reboot @ 4am and that seem to fix the issue