Move pc into IKEA Alex cabinet

TStjernholm

Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum, and was looking for some advice, regarding making my setup a bit cleaner, with hiding the computer.

So in short, I'm looking to do what this guys has done: https://www.instructables.com/id/Cooling-an-enclosed-computer-desk-Ikea-Alex/

I have a Fractal Define R5 cabinet, which is 20,9" / 23,1 cm, whereas the inside of the Alex cabinet is 22 1/8" / 56,2 cm. So I'm thinking about getting som 90-degree angled adaptors for DP-cable etc., so that should be taken care of, since I want the cabinet to be closed at all times, except when I turn the system on.

Considering the airflow, I was thinking to do what the guy in the link did: Drill 2 holes, one for intake (front side) and one for exhaust (rear top), and install the following hardware:

- Scythe Slip Stream eller Arctic F12 Silent 120mm (based on price, airflow and noise levels)

- 2 Silverstone fan grill + filter

- 3-pin extension cables for the fans

- And then this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KQ3RSS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I can't seem to find it anywhere, that ships it to Denmark/the EU. 

So, any tips? Is this going to work, is it gonna be too cramped? Are the fans ok etc.?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, TStjernholm said:

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

You can always just run an extension lead out of the case, it won't be as clean but will do the job. Having a single intake and exhaust should be ok but personally I'd a couple more fans for airflow. 

#1 Yea as in maybe remove one of the PCI covers on the back, and run them out from there?

And when you mean single intake+exhaust, you mean in my cabinet, right? Because I did think about installing another intake fan, since I'm not having any problems regarding airflow atm.

3 hours ago, TStjernholm said:

#1 Yea as in maybe remove one of the PCI covers on the back, and run them out from there?

And when you mean single intake+exhaust, you mean in my cabinet, right? Because I did think about installing another intake fan, since I'm not having any problems regarding airflow atm.

Yes in terms of the cabinet a single intake and exhaust might be cutting it tight, I'd do at least two intakes at the very least. 

For cable routing you can always get 3 or 4 pin fan extensions to run outside of the case like these. If you put it on a motherboard header it will also allow for speed control. 

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Splitter-Connector-Adapter-Cooler/dp/B07TVHX73B/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1