Noob builder. Help Wanted!

Budget (including currency): 700-800€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Tbh a hole lot of stuff. I'm upgrading mainly because of gaming but I like browsing youtube, I'm still in high school so some school work, programming...... I'm more into single player games and some casual online multiplayer with friends, not really into professional nor competitive play. Don't really think I need to do any overclocking.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Currently I have in mind:

CPU- Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Hz 6 cores

MOBO- Asus PRIME B450-MA Micro-Atx AM4

Graphics card- EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 4Gb

RAM- Crucial Balistix Sport LT 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4-2666Hz

HD- Western Digital Blue 1Tb 7200 rpm

Power suply- Corsair Txm Gold 550w 80+gold Semi-modular

Case- Corsair carbide series 100R

I'll only rock one monitor witch I haven´t picked yet, thinking of 1080p at 60hz. I've not picked any SSDs 'cause I don't think I need one. I think it would just be a big hassle having to manage files between drives and I don't think it's worth spending money on it now (do correct me if you think I'm wrong). This is really daunting for me and I'd really appreciate help. I'm sorry if I forgot any specs or information, ask anything.

Seems okay. Would definitely recommend an SSD in addition to the hard drive, otherwise windows and loading applications might be sluggish. Also, faster ram might not hurt as ryzen does seem to like faster ram. And lastly, if it can fit your budget, go for 1650 super. Little bit of extra performance and I don't think it costs too much more. 

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah that looks good but I would go for a better GPU and maybe get a slightly worse CPU to pay for the GPU. Radeon (Maybe RX 580?) gives you more for the money but IDK how good their drivers are...

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah that looks good but I would go for a better GPU and maybe get a slightly worse CPU to pay for the GPU. Radeon (Maybe RX 580?) gives you more for the money but IDK how good their drivers are...

Drivers are currently fine. My two machines haven't had issues in months, maybe close to a year

Just now, 5x5 said:

Drivers are currently fine. My two machines haven't had issues in months, maybe close to a year

OK. Also, get faster RAM. It isn't that much more (less then $10)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

that motherboard is pretty bad. check the motherboard tier list in my signature and pick a better one that works with the 3600. i'd recommend a msi b450 max board

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

OK. Also, get faster RAM. It isn't that much more (less then $10)

I'm more worried about the horrid motherboard, the ASRock Pro4 is cheaper and better

14 minutes ago, Dugbuzzz said:

Seems okay. Would definitely recommend an SSD in addition to the hard drive, otherwise windows and loading applications might be sluggish. Also, faster ram might not hurt as ryzen does seem to like faster ram. And lastly, if it can fit your budget, go for 1650 super. Little bit of extra performance and I don't think it costs too much more. 

Thank you so mutch

16 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the wellcome. Don't you think a worse CPU would hinder the other things I want to do with the computer?

14 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

that motherboard is pretty bad. check the motherboard tier list in my signature and pick a better one that works with the 3600. i'd recommend a msi b450 max board

Thanks, I'll look into it

23 minutes ago, Wone Bone said:

I've not picked any SSDs 'cause I don't think I need one.

Is it because you already have one or you don't know you need one? :D

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

ye you need a ssd for windows seriously you don't know what you are missing 

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

2 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Is it because you already have one or you don't know you need one? :D

It's because... Well a lot of things. Mainly I'm a bit scared I'll fuck up the file managing between the two drives. Also I've been using pices of crap as PC's for a long time so I'm kinda used to them and their slowness. I'm not against upgrading later, I just think that for now my limited resources might be in better use elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Could you explain why the motherboard is bad? Is it the chipset, the ports....

Hey there,

I've come up with a list on PCPP, but it's quite tough to come up with something reasonable as there's just 1-2 vendors listed and there's almost no choice with a lot of components. If you can stretch your budget a bit (~50€) this would be a solid build. I guess you can find some of the hardware cheaper as a native speaker (my spanish is rusty, don't even get me started on my portuguese). I found the PSU on chip7.pt. I just went with a case from that site as well, from what I can tell it does have a mesh front so it should provide at least somewhat decent airflow.

It's an mATX build.

Case: https://www.chip7.pt/caixas/57906-caixa-micro-atx-nox-coolbay-mx2-usb-30-black-coolbay-mx2.html

Edit: If you can get your hands on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, MSI B450 A-Pro Max, MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max or even a MSI x470 Gaming Plus - those would be even better boards and usually don't cost a lot more than the Pro-VDH Max. Those are regular ATX and you'd need an ATX case to fit them.

If there is any way you can re-use one of your old HDDs or even manage with 500GB for now I'd go down that route. The SSD is basically the component you'll notice the most during everyday use - I would not skip it.

um the file managing if you get a 480gb

if you want a reply you need to quote or @me 

9 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

If you can get your hands on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, MSI B450 A-Pro Max, MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max or even a MSI x470 Gaming Plus - those would be even better boards and usually don't cost a lot more than the Pro-VDH Max. Those are regular ATX and you'd need an ATX case to fit these.

First of all daium thanks. Second I am a noob builder, but I  don't wanna be forever, so could you please explain why are these motherboards better than the one I've picked and better than the one you've found? Every thing else I understand the change. Again Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Wone Bone said:

Could you explain why the motherboard is bad? Is it the chipset, the ports....

the vrms on that board are only suited for low power cpu like ryzen 3. look in the motherboard tier list in my signature and pick something more suitable for a 3600. i would go for a asrock pro 4 or a msi b450 max board.

2 minutes ago, Wone Bone said:

First of all daium thanks. Second I am a noob builder, but I  don't wanna be forever, so could you please explain why are these motherboards better than the one I've picked and better than the one you've found? Every thing else I understand the change. Again Thank you!

It basically comes down to power delivery: the VRMs (voltage regulator module), they make sure the power supplied is consistent and steady. There's a motherboard tier list put together by some incredibly awesome users on this forum - you can check that for more information. Motherboards are ranked by power delivery and/or other known problems. 

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the vrms on that board are only suited for low power cpu like ryzen 3. look in the motherboard tier list in my signature and pick something more suitable for a 3600. i would go for a asrock pro 4 or a msi b450 max board.

2 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

It basically comes down to power delivery: the VRMs (voltage regulator module), they make sure the power supplied is consistent and steady. There's a motherboard tier list put together by some incredibly awesome users on this forum - you can check that for more information. Motherboards are ranked by power delivery and/or other known problems. 

Thank both, will do!👍

One last question. Any reason why I shouldn't buy an ATX case?

7 minutes ago, Wone Bone said:

if you get a atx motherboard, you need to buy an atx case. if you go for matx mobo, you can get either matx case or atx. i prefer matx as they are smaller and take up less space. however, atx cases usually have space for more fans and have better airflow.

9 minutes ago, Wone Bone said:

No reason at all - I just went with mATX build because of the parts available on PCPP Portugal. You could either use the mATX board in an ATX case (looks a bit odd though) or if you find one of the boards we recommended above you could go for a regular ATX build. The suggested ATX boards are also a tad better than the B450M Pro-VDH max, so it'd be great if you can afford one of those.

Thanks you to evryone. I think that will be all....... For now