NVMe Cooling,

Hey there I’ve decided to build an over the top, open budget gaming/media rig, using some of the latest parts, I’ll be running an Nvidia 2080tife card, a Ryzen9 on an MSI X570 board, using a full eatx tower. I won’t be overclocking for a while so my system will only be air cooled till I get a custom loop setup, my question is if I get the new Corsair gen 4 NVMe Ssd it comes with an air cooling heat sink glued on, my Godlike mommyboard has its own air cooling cover with thermal pads for regular NVMe ssd, which one would allow better cooling? 

2 minutes ago, The Great Mighty Poo said:

Hey there I’ve decided to build an over the top, open budget gaming/media rig, using some of the latest parts, I’ll be running an Nvidia 2080tife card, a Ryzen9 on an MSI X570 board, using a full eatx tower. I won’t be overclocking for a while so my system will only be air cooled till I get a custom loop setup, my question is if I get the new Corsair gen 4 NVMe Ssd it comes with an air cooling heat sink glued on, my Godlike mommyboard has its own air cooling cover with thermal pads for regular NVMe ssd, which one would allow better cooling? 

Heatsinks aren't that neccesary for nvme ssds, but either one should be fine, the corsair one is relatively beefy and should to the trick, but the motherboards will work as well. (If you wanted to go insanely overkill, you could get a waterblock and have a water cooled ssd.)

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

A few motherboards I believe use the NVME heatsink as part of the chipset cooling, so you HAVE to leave it on then.

If its pre-applied to the NVME, it may not be removeable.  Although you could probably use one of the NVME slots that DOESN'T have one included, as usually only one of them does.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

corsair gen 4 nvme have pretty solid cooler by itself, i have gigabyte aorus rgb 512gb with very small heatsink and temps are never issue

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

A few motherboards I believe use the NVME heatsink as part of the chipset cooling, so you HAVE to leave it on then.

If its pre-applied to the NVME, it may not be removeable.  Although you could probably use one of the NVME slots that DOESN'T have one included, as usually only one of them does.

That is a good point, I’ll check in the manual and with MSI if my board can run without the covers, at the very least, since the 3 NVMe slots are at the ends of the cooling heatpipe branches, I’m pretty sure they can be discarded if I replace those with heat sinked ssd

3 hours ago, ItzCopiouz said:

Heatsinks aren't that neccesary for nvme ssds, but either one should be fine, the corsair one is relatively beefy and should to the trick, but the motherboards will work as well. (If you wanted to go insanely overkill, you could get a waterblock and have a water cooled ssd.)

That would be a “cool” system, lmao, but I think I’ll stop after the two GPUs and CPU are looping 

5 hours ago, The Great Mighty Poo said:

For my samsung 970 evo plus  I installed the Cryorig CR-M2A Frostbit.

I know, the motherboard cooler would probably do the job more than well enough but I simply liked the looks of the Cryorig more lol