Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 10 two folder to profile

irocket

Hi, I have a "problem" with Windows 10 - I have profile files (documents, desktop, etc) in two different places linked together. One normally on C:\Users\<name>, second on H:\Documents And Settings\<name> and I don't know why. Any action taken in one folder happens on other. Maybe some history will help:
I had 4 partitions on HDD - with Win 7, two data partitions and registered one. I wanted to install Win 10 so I extended and shunk partitions to get enough to make new one for Win 10. I have installed Win 10 on new partition (that partition is now H). OS worked fine, I got SSD and migrate Win 10 to SSD (partition C), probably with Minitool Partition Wizzard (I don't remember). It worked fine for about 3 weeks and then system f*cked up. Both on SSD and HDD. So I formatted C partition, install fresh system and it is working fine.

Today I wanted to search some files and I saw that files with corresponding name on my desktop was on other drive, in Documents And Settings directory. I've tried creating new files and deleting somenting - actions happen in BOTH folders same time. I would like to make some "cleaning" on my disks (I have 10 partitions on 4 disks, I want to move data from 3 or 4 of them to delete them) but I don't want to mess my OS. Any ideas?

In Windows you can point Documents, Picture, etc.. folder under your profile folder to another location.

This is what you have done.

The option is under the Properties of each of those folders (right-click on the folder under your user profile folder), go to Properties, and look under the "Location" tab. From there you can restore to default, or change the path to whatever you want.

I have checked Desktop folder. In properties of C:\Users\name\Desktop is Location tab and it is set to "C:\Users\name\Desktop". Desktop in H:\Documents and Settings\name\Desktop doesn't have Location tab, has the same size, same files, same creation date.

1 hour ago, irocket said:

I have checked Desktop folder. In properties of C:\Users\name\Desktop is Location tab and it is set to "C:\Users\name\Desktop". Desktop in H:\Documents and Settings\name\Desktop doesn't have Location tab, has the same size, same files, same creation date.

So then you probably used a program or you used the command prompt to create a symbolic link.

Here is how to use symbolic links under Windows 10:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2016/12/02/symlinks-windows-10/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

My suggestions is to backup your stuff before doing anything in the case of data loss.

I have never created symbolic links, but now I have downloaded NTFSLinksView and there are "Junctions" between H:\Documents and Settings\* (Full Path) and C:\Users (Target Path) but they are two years old (probably the same as OS installation age). I will try remove them on test folder ;)