Plex & Qnap backups (Need a white knight)

Hi Folks Need some help here.

I want to make a backup of The FULL Plex database which includes images, metadata, Info ect. (Actual Media has several backups).

As I understand it Plex does not update the files directly, Everything is held in the database and if this is corrupted you are basically SOL. How can I backup the full Database to and external SSD drive from my Qnap TS-451+ to protect the hours of work about to be poured in to fixing/updating data?  

Full Disclosure here, The NAS just works and very happy with it, QTS is based on Linux i think but again it works  Windows/DOS guy from 3.11 & 6.22 Respectively But Linux it's all as clear as mud and not a tinkerer (maybe getting to old?) So I would need, if you can help and would be kind enough detailed "A to B to C" instructions that would be spiffing indeed.

I have tried using help but again OLD as the kids say is there an app for that?

Thanks for your time and any assistance you can offer.

James (LLAP)

LTT atachment 1.png

18 hours ago, James Furie said:

I want to make a backup of The FULL Plex database which includes images, metadata, Info ect. (Actual Media has several backups).

As I understand it Plex does not update the files directly, Everything is held in the database and if this is corrupted you are basically SOL.

The Plex database doesn't contain images. These are held in the Media & Cache folders, and I would really advise against not trying to back those up. Different copies of images are cached depending on the devices that have access your media server so you can easily have 3-4 images per video files. These can easily be re-fetched/cached and take up a large amount of space and a lot of time to backup due to a large number of small files.

The database is your most important as that has all your Library info, Server configuration and metadata (including corrected Show/Movie matches). 

A backup file of this is created every week in Plex's AppData folder, so if you want a backup of it, the best thing is just to have a scheduled task/cron job that copies the database backup to another location. 

Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Plug-in Support\Databases

Linux: /Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Plug-in Support/Databases

The 2 main databases you need to backup and the format of the backup is 

com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-<date>
com.plexapp.plugins.library.blobs.db-<date>

Example of them on my Ubuntu box

image.png.2fc7f94c8ae61d3ad27ee508419afce5.png

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA