Need your help upgrading this PC

Been watching the Linus Tech Tips youtube videos on the daily and saw this page. I bought a new PC and because of COVID 19 the order was delayed until July, I canceled my order for now. I have an older PC that has served me well, mostly for browsing and playing video games (mainly league of legends). I want to upgrade components of my PC to increase performance, but I have no clue what to upgrade and that is why I'm posting this. League of Legends runs fine, COD MW Multiplayer runs well, I have issues with Warzone. When I play COD I notice my CPU and GPU are running almost at 100%. GPU temperature around 63 degrees, I get above 60 FPS. Below are the specs of the PC :

Intel i5-6600 @3.30 GHz, 3312 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

RAM 8 GB - (2)  Adata 4GB DDR4 2400 1.2 V

GeForce GTX 960 2 GB

MSI B150M PRO-D(MS-7996)

Monitor

ASUS VG248QE 

AW2521HF <--- this was for the new PC I had ordered

Ping 7 ms

Windows 10 Home

Power Supply - ALLIED  SL-8500BTX 480 W(combined power)

Thank you,

Maybe upgrade to an i5-9400f and a gtx 1660 super. I have a build with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 1660 super and it runs Warzone at about 100 fps

Also probably upgrade that PSU and you'll probably want more and faster ram. I'd suggest a 650w PSU and 16gb of 3200Mhz ddr4

1 hour ago, Perrin said:

Maybe upgrade to an i5-9400f and a gtx 1660 super. I have a build with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 1660 super and it runs Warzone at about 100 fps

These two?

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER DirectX 12 GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS OC 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Intel Core i5-9400F Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.9 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I59400F Desktop Processor Without Graphics

1 hour ago, Perrin said:

yeah i have that exact GPU

Thank you

I will order these componest. Is the PSU upgrade a must? If not i can upgrade  PSU in a few weeks together with the RAM.

50 minutes ago, Arsenal17 said:

Thank you

I will order these componest. Is the PSU upgrade a must? If not i can upgrade  PSU in a few weeks together with the RAM.

You'll be cutting it really close. A 450w PSU is recommended for that GPU. Look for at  least a 550 I'd say

1 hour ago, Perrin said:

You'll be cutting it really close. A 450w PSU is recommended for that GPU. Look for at  least a 550 I'd say

Haha what? There is a reason they recommend 450W and not 550W when the system total power consumption is at ~220W. Stop being delusional.

power-maximum.png

7 hours ago, gouca said:

Haha what? There is a reason they recommend 450W and not 550W when the system total power consumption is at ~220W. Stop being delusional.

power-maximum.png

Maybe if you did some actual research you'd realize that it's recommended to have more than what your system will use. You're the delusional one. 

"Ideally your unit will delivers plenty of power to your components and offers some extra headroom in case you want to attach additional components later. Most power supplies hit their peak efficiency levels with loads in the range of 40 to 80 percent. Building to about 50 to 60 percent of a PSU’s capacity is advisable to achieve maximum efficiency and yet leave room for future expansion.

For example, if the maximum power or combined TDP (total design power) of your system’s present components is 300 watts, a 600-watt PSU would be a good fit. In a high-end system loaded with components that may peak collectively at 700 watts, a 1200-watt PSU would work well. You can get by with lower-capacity units if you don’t think you’ll ever need to expand your system, but if you can afford it, choosing a higher-capacity PSU is a better bet."  - Marco Chiappetta from PCWorld.com

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

Thank both of you for the input. I ordered the above mentioned components and 2- 8G  3200Mhz ddr4 sticks. I reviewed the components for the PC I had ordered and I'm starting to think that it was a blessing in disguise that the order was delayed and canceled for the price I was going to pay.  

6 hours ago, Perrin said:

Maybe if you did some actual research you'd realize that it's recommended to have more than what your system will use. You're the delusional one. 

"Ideally your unit will delivers plenty of power to your components and offers some extra headroom in case you want to attach additional components later. Most power supplies hit their peak efficiency levels with loads in the range of 40 to 80 percent. Building to about 50 to 60 percent of a PSU’s capacity is advisable to achieve maximum efficiency and yet leave room for future expansion.

For example, if the maximum power or combined TDP (total design power) of your system’s present components is 300 watts, a 600-watt PSU would be a good fit. In a high-end system loaded with components that may peak collectively at 700 watts, a 1200-watt PSU would work well. You can get by with lower-capacity units if you don’t think you’ll ever need to expand your system, but if you can afford it, choosing a higher-capacity PSU is a better bet."  - Marco Chiappetta from PCWorld.com

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

For future the power consumption is by no means going up. Building with 50% headroom is absolutely braindead in a budget build. Your Marco seems to have zero experience in electrical engineering and can not be taken up as a serious source for this kind of information.

On 5/6/2020 at 8:59 AM, Arsenal17 said:

Been watching the Linus Tech Tips youtube videos on the daily and saw this page. I bought a new PC and because of COVID 19 the order was delayed until July, I canceled my order for now. I have an older PC that has served me well, mostly for browsing and playing video games (mainly league of legends). I want to upgrade components of my PC to increase performance, but I have no clue what to upgrade and that is why I'm posting this. League of Legends runs fine, COD MW Multiplayer runs well, I have issues with Warzone. When I play COD I notice my CPU and GPU are running almost at 100%. GPU temperature around 63 degrees, I get above 60 FPS. Below are the specs of the PC :

Intel i5-6600 @3.30 GHz, 3312 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

RAM 8 GB - (2)  Adata 4GB DDR4 2400 1.2 V

GeForce GTX 960 2 GB

MSI B150M PRO-D(MS-7996)

Monitor

ASUS VG248QE 

AW2521HF <--- this was for the new PC I had ordered

Ping 7 ms

Windows 10 Home

Power Supply - ALLIED  SL-8500BTX 480 W(combined power)

Thank you,

first upgrade the gpu to 5600 XT (rtx 2060 performance but cheaper) something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7bRgXL/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5600-xt-6-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-r56xtgaming-oc-6g

then upgrade psu to something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zphmP6/antec-neoeco-gold-zen-500-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-ne500g-zen

after those upgrade upgrade the cpu to something like this (beats 9400f by huge amount): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNZFWD

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

10 hours ago, Arsenal17 said:

Thank both of you for the input. I ordered the above mentioned components and 2- 8G  3200Mhz ddr4 sticks. I reviewed the components for the PC I had ordered and I'm starting to think that it was a blessing in disguise that the order was delayed and canceled for the price I was going to pay.  

You need a 300 series motherboard for the 9400f.

New mother requires Windows installation?

So the gtx 1610 super needs a 8 pin PCI-E connector (the PSU has  6 for the GPU) it looks llke i can buy an adaptor from 6 to 8 pin. Installed the I5 9400 F the CPU and did not power up. The first ligjt on the motherboars light up. The box of I5 9400 F states that a 300 seriea motherboard is needed  with the LGA 1151 socket. I install the old CPU back and the new RAM 16 GB. CPUnot running at 100% like before now running at around 60%.  GPU close to 95%, FPS dropped from above 60 fps to 40 fps. The 9400 f now has paste one it from the CPU.What do guys recommend?

20200508_211146.jpg

20200508_211758.jpg

20200508_222744.jpg