FTP Errors

digitaldoughnut

So I've just setup FTP access with explicit TLS on my WD MyCloudEX2Ultra. I am able to access it with FileZilla on LAN from my PC however I am unable to get any external access (yes I have port forwarded on the router). I used this site https://ftptest.net

to check external access and I get the following error:

Error: Carriage return without line feed received

The replies sent by your server are violating the FTP specifications.

You have to upgrade to a proper server.

not sure how to fix this, there doesn't seem to be much on google.

Thanks

To be fair, FTP over TLS is a pretty odd choice.  Most people go for SCP or SFTP.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

14 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

To be fair, FTP over TLS is a pretty odd choice.  Most people go for SCP or SFTP.

It doesn’t seem like my NAS supports either of those options, thanks though!

19 minutes ago, Slayerking92 said:

Your ISP may also be blocking the port.

I’m using virgin media - according to their list of Blocked ports there doesn’t seem to be any conflicts. 

Wow, nice job WD, it seems SFTP and SCP is indeed not worth the risk as they only allow it for the root user because WD clearly haven't a clue what they are doing.

Critical: The use of SSH (Secure Shell) can potentially harm the My Cloud device and could result in loss of access to the device and/or data. The use of SSH to modify or attempt to modify the device outside of the normal operation of the product voids your WD warranty

So back to FTP over TLS, did you forward both port 990(TCP/UDP) for control and port 989(TCP/UDP) for data on your router to the NAS?  There's also some mention of passive ports at https://community.wd.com/t/filezilla-ftp-over-tls/98598

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7