Tower in another room...

In the middle of renovating and looking for a clean quiet office setup. 

I've noticed it's possible to run HDMI and USB over ethernet. If I leave my computer where it is (under the stairs), which would be a 15m run of cable, could I run 2x cat6 (one for hdmi, one for a 3 port usb hub), headphone wall jack and mic wall jack, then a speaker cable (for an in-desk power button), would this work? I know I couldn't run through my switch, so planned on just having a 2 port wall jack at both ends and doing it that way.

Team viewer has too much latency, would this setup have any? I've read that it won't, just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with it, it almost seems too simplistic. I plan on testing before setting the cables, just wondered if this would work in theory. If its viable, I'd probably run a couple more cat6 runs in for potential future expansion.

I don't think so. 

HDMI is 20 GBPS. 

Ethernet is 1GBPS or 10GBPS if you have very special hardware, which is pretty expensive. 

You need a drill my friend :D

10 minutes ago, molszanski said:

I don't think so. 

HDMI is 20 GBPS. 

Ethernet is 1GBPS or 10GBPS if you have very special hardware, which is pretty expensive. 

You need a drill my friend :D

Running a HDMI lead isn't a problem tbh, I was just under the impression, from some very limited research, that this was actually a better solution? Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though!

Running a HDMI lead isn't a problem tbh

I think long range HDMI / Thunderbolt is a bag of snakes on its own. 

I would really dive deep into research on how good long range hdmi / thunderbolt lead is. 

There some optical version, but they are pricey :D

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though!

Count me in the club :)

The best solution, is to not do it. It’s not worth the hassle. It’s good in theory, but not very practical 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm not clear on your picture here, would you have a thin client at the other end? You can't just run hdmi to a monitor.

I'm interested in this concept but it looks like more work than it's worth, my only reason for this would be temps as my basement is much cooler in the summer and my server's would be screaming when I got home if I wasn't running the swamp cooler.  But I've replaced those servers with a 3900x machine so it should be far better now.

Anyways my ranting aside, unless you know of adapters to convert your I/O to ethernet you will at least need an old laptop to connect everything to.

There is such a thing as remote desktop but that is in no way useful for gaming.  I'm certain that with these cloud services something is entirely possible but not easily done in it's current state.  I'd be highly interested if you find a solution.

Linus did this in a previous video but for the life of me I can't find it.

Honestly you're far better off building an actually silent system, there are many video's and way's to do it.  Usually the biggest culprit is coil whine from the gpu and my EVGA 2080s has zero.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

6 hours ago, theviztastic said:

In the middle of renovating and looking for a clean quiet office setup. 

I've noticed it's possible to run HDMI and USB over ethernet. If I leave my computer where it is (under the stairs), which would be a 15m run of cable, could I run 2x cat6 (one for hdmi, one for a 3 port usb hub), headphone wall jack and mic wall jack, then a speaker cable (for an in-desk power button), would this work? I know I couldn't run through my switch, so planned on just having a 2 port wall jack at both ends and doing it that way.

Team viewer has too much latency, would this setup have any? I've read that it won't, just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with it, it almost seems too simplistic. I plan on testing before setting the cables, just wondered if this would work in theory. If its viable, I'd probably run a couple more cat6 runs in for potential future expansion.

I think you are better off trying to find a way of combining a compact HDMI and a USB cable. I think you can get a lot of bang for your buck here if the cables are the right size. As long as you aren't going more than 50 feet of cable I don't think you'll have any issues.

1 hour ago, Psittac said:

I'm not clear on your picture here, would you have a thin client at the other end? You can't just run hdmi to a monitor.

I'm interested in this concept but it looks like more work than it's worth, my only reason for this would be temps as my basement is much cooler in the summer and my server's would be screaming when I got home if I wasn't running the swamp cooler.  But I've replaced those servers with a 3900x machine so it should be far better now.

Anyways my ranting aside, unless you know of adapters to convert your I/O to ethernet you will at least need an old laptop to connect everything to.

There is such a thing as remote desktop but that is in no way useful for gaming.  I'm certain that with these cloud services something is entirely possible but not easily done in it's current state.  I'd be highly interested if you find a solution.

Linus did this in a previous video but for the life of me I can't find it.

Honestly you're far better off building an actually silent system, there are many video's and way's to do it.  Usually the biggest culprit is coil whine from the gpu and my EVGA 2080s has zero.

Essentially I'd have a monitor, USB and headphone jack and mic in the office for a truly silent (to that room) and clutter free office.

Remote desktop is out because of latency.

Last defeats the object, I have a system already and I kind of want/need to leave it where it is, sure, I *could* spend x building any system, but I thought this seemed like it scores two goals..?