PC crashes when NOT under load

This has been happening over a year. About a month after I built my pc, it started crashing when it is NOT under load. Basically I need to have a game running in the background to prevent my pc from crashing (if im not already gaming). As of now I have the game Slime Rancher run on startup so I won't forget to have a game running in the background. It's not a huge issue, but it is a problem I hope to fix.

specs:

GTX 1060 6gb

Ryzen 7 1700

16gb OEM ram

500w psu

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H mobo

41 minutes ago, aerone said:

This has been happening over a year. About a month after I built my pc, it started crashing when it is NOT under load. Basically I need to have a game running in the background to prevent my pc from crashing (if im not already gaming). As of now I have the game Slime Rancher run on startup so I won't forget to have a game running in the background. It's not a huge issue, but it is a problem I hope to fix.

specs:

GTX 1060 6gb

Ryzen 7 1700

16gb OEM ram

500w psu

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H mobo

what power supply do you have?

5 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

what power supply do you have?

EVGA 500 watt (white). I'm just trying to pinpoint the hardware or whatever that could be causing this 

22 hours ago, TrigrH said:

are you on bios F31 or higher? update your bios if not

I have updated my bios to F31 earlier, and so far it hasn't crashed. I'll see if the problem persists for a day or two.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:55 AM, TrigrH said:

are you on bios F31 or higher? update your bios if not

The problem still happens, the only difference now is that my screen only freezes without rebooting. Should I try updating to the most recent bios?

I've had lots of freezes and BSODs as well. It's a different CPU (Ryzen 3 3200G), but it might be worth a try. I've had random BSODs like system service exception, page fault in non paged area, irql not less than or equal. you name it. All diagnostics showed no result. Temps were ok, etc. 

It sometimes happened during games a BSOD, but most of the times the PC "broke" when in background. Most of the times I could play for hours without any issues. as soon as the PC went to IDLE, everything stopped working. I disabled any kind of PC sleep, turning monitor off, etc, but it kept happening.

For me what actually solved the problem was forcing dedicated GPU only on the BIOS.  I guess Windows was trying to delegate 2D/background tasks, whatever, to the iGPU/CPU and f*n it up.  After forcing it off on the BIOS, I never got any BSODs anymore. Not sure if you have the option in your BIOS with this CPU, as you technically dont have an iGPU, but might be worth a shot, if it's an option on the BIOS.

9 hours ago, aerone said:

The problem still happens, the only difference now is that my screen only freezes without rebooting. Should I try updating to the most recent bios?

You can try? I chose F31 as is the newest bios before ryzen 3000 support. Have you tried updating your chipset drivers off the AMD website? After doing so you should have access to the Ryzen high performance power plan in windows (control panel)