Is my MB F****D???

Go to solution Solved by btror,

FIXED!!! Here is what you do: unplug all hard drives except the boot media. That allowed for my mouse and keyboard to work again. After that, I plugged my m.2 back in and re-installed windows on it. 

PC SPECS:

Motherboard: Asrock B450M Steel Legend

RAM: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 corsair vengeance @ 2100mhz

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700

GPU: RTX 2070

STORAGE: 1-samsung 970evo m.2 ssd (500GB and has windows on it), 1-samsung 860evo 500gb ssd, 2-1tb seagate hdd

PSU: EVGA 80+ ga gold 700W

So... It all started while I'll was playing Modern Warfare and enjoying a nice, cold diet coke....

I was doing amazing, then all the sudden I spilled diet coke all over my keyboard. I quickly dried it up and kept playing... After I finished and went to my desktop, windows kept mysteriously popping up. Weird stuff was happening. Things were being moved to my recycling bin and TONS of windows were popping up. I soon realized that my keyboard was typing random things.. I opened notepad and saw that the del key and all the keys on my num pad were spamming! I quickly unplugged my keyboard and plugged a new one in to soon realize that a lot of bad s**t happened. A bunch of files were corrupted, so I reset my PC and reinstalled Windows 10. After doing that everything was PERFECT!!! (so I thought). Soon after making sure windows was all good, I turned my computer off, then back on and went into the bios because I wanted to change my Motherboard's (Asrock b450m steel legend) rgb color. I did this, and then closed out of the bios. THEN I tried to go back to my desktop but I was greeted with this instead...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------BSOD----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recovery

Your PC/device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File:\\Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/device manufacturer. 

PRESS Enter to try again

PRESS f1 to enter recovery environment 

PRESS f8 to startup settings

PRESS esc for UEFI firmware settings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is my keyboard and mouse don't work. I tried using other keyboards and mouses and those don't work either. I tested the power to the USB ports and they ARE receiving power. I unplugged and plugged in my hard drives and that did nothing. ONE time my keyboard started working, but when I tried to boot windows it took me back to this screen and it stopped working again! So I'm stuck and pissed. My question is is this an issue with my MOTHERBOARD? or is it an issue with mouse and keyboard drivers? Do I need to replace parts? 

I just want to add that I did not power off during any windows updates or anything like that. I guess My system is bricked?

1 minute ago, btror said:

I guess My system is bricked?

I wouldn't call it yet. 

If I were you, which I'm not (I don't think), I'd keep trying to boot into a windows install media to reinstall windows, and just keep trying until the keyboard works spontaneously again and hope that fixes it. If it doesn't, or if it reinstall windows but then you have the same keyboard mouse issue, then I'd call it. 

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I've spilt drinks on my keyboard loads of times, although granted always given it some time to dry immediately after before using it again.

It would be quite the fluke for a shorted keyboard to do any major damage IMO.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

I wouldn't call it yet. 

If I were you, which I'm not (I don't think), I'd keep trying to boot into a windows install media to reinstall windows, and just keep trying until the keyboard works spontaneously again and hope that fixes it. If it doesn't, or if it reinstall windows but then you have the same keyboard mouse issue, then I'd call it. 

Assuming the worst, if it is bricked would components can I not use again? Could I just replace the MB?

1 minute ago, btror said:

Assuming the worst, if it is bricked would components can I not use again? Could I just replace the MB?

I expect so, it could have fried the USB controller but I doubt very much it would go any further, there is not that much current allowed over USB.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, btror said:

Total fucking dice roll amigo. If you need to replace things, I'd start with the motherboard. It's the most likely to have been hit by a short. 

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

I expect so, it could have fried the USB controller but I doubt very much it would go any further, there is no that much current allowed over USB.

Good thinking here. 

Try as many different USB ports as you can, maybe you didn't fry them all. 

Spoiler

Total fucking dice roll amigo. If you need to replace things, I'd start with the motherboard. It's the most likely to have been hit by a short. 

Oh I forgot to mention that when I was inspecting my MB I noticed these dark smeerish looking things on the back of it? Not too sure what that's about.

3 minutes ago, btror said:

Oh I forgot to mention that when I was inspecting my MB I noticed these dark smeerish looking things on the back of it? Not too sure what that's about.

The worry is if somehow the spill made it into the PC, then bad things can happen.

I've been very lucky, spilt cups of tea and cola over my tower years ago and it only got slightly into the DVD drive doing zero damage. (yes that many years ago)

Cases suck a lot more air in these days though so there is a lot more potential for it get in and be blown all over the insides.

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The worry is if somehow the spill made it into the PC, then bad things can happen.

This is off topic but I have to ask. What "appliance" are you using as a router in your signature? Is your fridge a router? 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've been very lucky, spilt cups of tea and cola over my tower years ago and it only got slightly into the DVD drive doing zero damage. (yes that many years ago)

Cases suck a lot more air in these days though so there is a lot more potential for it get in and be blown all over the insides.

I never spilt anything on my PC. Just the keyboard. It wasn't even a lot. 

This is off topic but I have to ask. What "appliance" are you using as a router in your signature? Is your fridge a router? 

what appliance am I using as a router?

Just now, btror said:

what appliance am I using as a router?

I was asking the other dude. Alex Atkin UK, homeboy has an appliance listed as his router in his signature. 

Spoiler

FIXED!!! Here is what you do: unplug all hard drives except the boot media. That allowed for my mouse and keyboard to work again. After that, I plugged my m.2 back in and re-installed windows on it. 

This was the hardest 3:am challenge I've ever done.

That's very weird but glad you solved it.

11 hours ago, btror said:

Congrats homie! That's Hella weird that worked, but we're all glad you're back up and running. 

Spoiler