Help with AT&T Router Bridge/Passthrough

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
5 minutes ago, Ritsukashy said:

also im going to guess that now to access my router i need to use 192.168.3.1 since the normal address isn't working anymore

For the BGW210, yes, for the Asus router you'll use the same 192.168.1.x address

I live in a area where only at&t internet or satellite internet is available so we went with at&t. My issue is that the router/modem combo unit they provide has weak wireless capabilities and in general isn't that user friendly with its unchangeable Nat types and so on. I asked if they could provide us with just a modem and and could get my own router they said they don't have a modem just that unit and i cant use my own modem since its fiber and it requires their own. i was told i can use my own router connected to it and just use it as a sorta bridge mode on the at&t router but it doesn't have that option but i could set up a pass through and be very similar.

My issue now is that im not sure how to properly set up my pass through and the guides online normally show a newer interface that i don't have or are very specific with not much details on how to get certain information. my biggest issue is that i dont understand the Subnet & DHCP settings and for the passthrough setting it shows my routers mac address but if i go into my router settings it has 2 addresses one for wireless and one for lan and id dont know which to chose as my option is only the wireless mac address one in the passthrough settings and doesnt show the lan address at all. do i have to passthrough both? i dont think i even have a option to do two passthrouh since its only has one field i can enter one address in. I feel like i might be overthinking this but i just want to make sure i get this right so i dont have to guess later on if i have network issues if it was caused by my settings. Any and all help would be appreciated. i can post images too but i dont know what information i should hide so i will provide them if someone tells me what to hide. 

What model do you have? The BGW210 or the Pace?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Ritsukashy said:

BGW210

This is what you need then:

image.png.a542603be993d2e194cc3fc083a5d7ef.png

In the Passthrough Fixed MAC Address you select the router if it shows up in the list and it will fill out the MAC address for you.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i bought a asus RT ACRH17. im trying to not use the one provided as a whole since it gives nat issues since it doesnt let me change it much. so i want to use it in router mode not Access point mode

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

This is what you need then:

image.png.a542603be993d2e194cc3fc083a5d7ef.png

In the Passthrough Fixed MAC Address you select the router if it shows up in the list and it will fill out the MAC address for you.

i did go there but as i stated in my asus router information it shows 2 mac adresses one for wifi and one for lan only the wifi one shows up is that fine? would it cover computers connected to the router directly?

i did go there but as i stated in my asus router information it shows 2 mac adresses one for wifi and one for lan only the wifi one shows up is that fine? would it cover computers connected to the router directly?

There should only be one MAC address there when you connect the ASUS router to the BGW210 in the list on that screen. Can you post a screenshot or something perhaps to clear things up?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

is it fine that it only lets me chose the wireless mac adress? do i need to do both somehow?

Screenshot 2020-05-01 13.53.55.png

Screenshot 2020-05-01 13.56.15.png

Also i dont know if im blacking out the right stuff so pls dont hack me

1 minute ago, Ritsukashy said:

is it fine that it only lets me chose the wireless mac adress? do i need to do both somehow?

Ah, let me ask this question. Are you plugging your LAN or WAN port on the router into the BGW210? Regardless, if you're using the WAN port then you should be fine. Absolute worst case things don't work right and we can look into it more :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also i dont know if im blacking out the right stuff so pls dont hack me

You blocked out your public IP, that's about all you need to do.

A MAC address does nothing unless I'm on the same network as you and really wouldn't net an attacker anything by knowing it in advance :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

the wan is the one by itself that is meant for the internet im assuming? if so then yes I'm connected to wan not the other 4 the at&t router doesn't have and output like a modem so that one is just connected to port 1  so idk if that is a issue 

the wan is the one by itself that is meant for the internet im assuming? if so then yes I'm connected to wan not the other 4 the at&t router doesn't have and output like a modem so that one is just connected to port 1  so idk if that is a issue 

Yah, that's all fine then and correct. Then select the wireless MAC from the list and let's see if that fixes everything.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also the giudes i saw told me to turn off all packet filters and firewall settings on the at&t router since my asus one will be handling that now. but i dont know if i need to change the settings on the subnet and DHCP settings

some guides didnt really mention those settings others did so idk what to do there

Also the giudes i saw told me to turn off all packet filters and firewall settings on the Stt router since my asus one will be handling that now. but i dont know if i need to change the settings on the subnet and DHCP settings

I would actually setup the firewall advanced settings like this:

You can ignore the bottom ones but the top three are best left on

image.png.5abc5bdf122074b702f3840c92cf505e.png

As for Subnet and DHCP, anything similar to this is fine.

image.png.f4eb6d5c3d2ecc2d8ec84df117c99b04.png

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

idk what you mean by similar since i dont know networking stuff really so imma guess i could use the same settings?

idk what you mean by similar since i dont know networking stuff really so imma guess i could use the same settings?

Yah, you can definitely use the same settings.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ok so i changed the settings do i need to do anything in the ip allocation setting? or any settings on my asus router?

ok so i changed the settings do i need to do anything in the ip allocation setting? or any settings on my asus router?

Nope, all of that should be good to go. The only thing you might need to do is reboot the asus router but if it already has your public IP address then you're good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

also im going to guess that now to access my router i need to use 192.168.3.1 since the normal address isn't working anymore

5 minutes ago, Ritsukashy said:

For the BGW210, yes, for the Asus router you'll use the same 192.168.1.x address

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ill just bookmark it and put a obvious name since i have terrible memory thanks so much hopefully i can now actually be a party leader in games :D

1 minute ago, Ritsukashy said:

Ill just bookmark it and put a obvious name since i have terrible memory thanks so much hopefully i can now actually be a party leader in games :D

Yah, just tag me with @

or just quote me if you have issues :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: