Best Intel CPU?

Amer
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Why not the i7 4960x? I'm going to overclock and watercool I have the money for it..

Get a 4930k

Is the best Processor the Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition?

Cheese

best processor for what?

gaming?

rendering?

editing?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

best processor for what?

gaming?

rendering?

editing?

Gaming, School, Movies, Stuff lyk dat.

Cheese

Gaming, School, Movies, Stuff lyk dat.

4670K for you.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Why not the i7 4960x? I'm going to overclock and watercool I have the money for it..

Cheese

for your use 4670k, for heavy CPU tasks, the new E7 v2 line, and its 15core part

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Why get something you don't need and the 4930K is just as good as the 4960X.

4670K is probably the best bang/buck atm
If you are talking about core count then the 4930K is the bang/buck
If you are talking what Intel thinks their best CPU is, then for consumers it would be the 4960X.
If you ask and AMD fanboy what the best Intel CPU is then they would say none.

it all depends on your situation The CPU I see the most on this site is the 4670K, that is clearly for a reason.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Get a 4930k

because you will not see any difference. if you want many cores, get a 4770k at most. 

then take the 700$ and use them on a nice 1440p monitor, or a 780ti

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

You won't really get any performance increases in what you're using it for, unless you overclock it and pair it with a beast GPU. I'd go with a 4670k, you're kind of wasting money on the 4960x.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Because compared to the 4930K (which is like half the price), the performance on your uses would be only 1% better.

And comparing the 4930K to the 4770k, the same story goes again, it's only a small little tiny bit better.

Now again, let's compare it to the 4670K, and you guessed it! It's almost the same thing over again!

Unless you are doing an important workload, these processors don't matter at all. If gaming is the higher end stuff you do on the PC the i5 4670K is the best choice. If you may do more stuff on the feature, and want to have a baller CPU, get a 4770K. Don't go to the extreme 2011 platform.

Use the spare money on other things, like shoes, SSDs and cupcakes from a coffee shop, many of them.

I agree with LukaP. You won't see a difference for the tasks you will do, you would benefit from the 4960x or 4930k if you would do massive and heavy editing or rendering and that kind of stuff, you can invest more money on other stuff if you will buy a 4670k or 4770k, these 2 are the best options for you, cause you won't be wasting money, but also not suffering on performance

first of all, why? you're not gonna do any rendering or editing so you're just gonna waste money.... just get the 4670k. like @LukaP said, if you want more cores, go for the 4770k as it has hyper threading 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Guys you don't understand I have cash. I just want the best of the best for my PC. Only thing I'm afraid if buying the 4960x a newer processor will come out and that will piss me off.

Cheese

Well it's certainly the most expensive.
I would argue the best is an unlocked i5 Haswell or a partially locked Ivy Bridge.
Something like an i5 3470 can be overclocked to 4.2Ghz, doesn't require a Z motherboard & costs $30 less than a fully unlocked i5 3570K or a 4670K.
You'll save $50 on the CPU & the motherboard and an additional $50 on the CPU cooler that you would have needed to overclock a 3570K or a 4670K, that amounts to $100 which you can put towards a significantly more powerful graphics card, i.e. upgrade from a 270X to a 280X, or from a GTX 660 to a GTX 770.

IMO, the 4960x isn't worth it. Go with a 4930k. But for your needs, an i5 4670k would be more than enough. Even AMD's 8350 would be more than enough. 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

if you have the money, still get 4770k, then with the money you've saved buy a 780ti or a full custom loop depending on your budget

4770k | GTX 780 | 350D | 16GB RAM | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 750w PSU | Kraken x60 | Custom Sleeved Cables | ASUS PB287Q

Build Log 

Guys you don't understand I have cash. I just want the best of the best for my PC. Only thing I'm afraid if buying the 4960x a newer processor will come out and that will piss me off.

But why get something that is way too expensive and you can't use all of? With your uses you will not see a difference between the 4770k and a 4960x. If you need 6 core get the 4930k. I would put the money saved by getting a 4770k towards a better or more GPU's or more monitors.

But yes the 4960x is technically the best right now. But there will always be something else coming out that will be better than it. It is just a matter of time.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

it will, in like 6months. i just find it extremly hard to understand the reasoning. you get 0 performance improvement. you get 0 looks improvement. noone cares about e-peen anymore. you waste 700$ that can be used on something better, like a nice room furniture, or a tune up of your car, or franky, just food for a month... or a holiday ffs, just not something that wont be noticed at all...

Get a custom WC loop+4770k instead 4960x, you will get better performance with OCed watercooled 4770k then with 4960x with like h80 @stock I suppose

Okay guys I'll get the 4770k you guys convinced me. But can I use the 4770k on a LGA 2011 motherboard?

Cheese