Would re-pasting this CPU help?

About to buy one of these laptops - Dell G3 3590

Here is the existing paste/thermal pad job out of the factory

https://youtu.be/3JNKZC5QLUw?t=265

I've read about this laptop getting fairly hot and thermal throttling, so I thought while I open the laptop to install more RAM, I could take the heatsink off and put new paste on. I have Arctic MX-4

While I've done this before a lot on old laptops, and I'm comfortable in doing it, I'm just wondering whether it's worth invalidating the warranty.

Thanks

"I'm just wondering whether it's worth invalidating the warranty."

Unfortunately, no one can answer that question but you.

Just now, kb5zue said:

"I'm just wondering whether it's worth invalidating the warranty."

Unfortunately, no one can answer that question but you.

True.

I guess my actual question is, can I expect to see a tiny reduction in temperature, if any (i.e. 1-3C) or would it be more signifcant (5C+)

4 minutes ago, laptopnoob678 said:

True.

I guess my actual question is, can I expect to see a tiny reduction in temperature, if any (i.e. 1-3C) or would it be more signifcant (5C+)

Maybe? Honestly the stock thermal paste really hasn't been a limiting factor for a few years. There also is not a good replacement for the factory paste. If you replace it with any major brand "high performance" paste expect to repaste every 6-12 months due to the pump out effect. You may see a couple degrees drop, but it will be short lived. You can try the graphite pads, but most laptops use a low mounting pressure, which doesnt combine well with the graphite pads.

The cooling solution is often the limiting factor anyway, so 9 times out of 10 there is a very very minor difference if any.

The gamers nexus and der8auer video about thermal paste is a good watch if you haven't seen it.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

Maybe? Honestly the stock thermal paste really hasn't been a limiting factor for a few years. There also is not a good replacement for the factory paste. If you replace it with any major brand "high performance" paste expect to repaste every 6-12 months due to the pump out effect. You may see a couple degrees drop, but it will be short lived. You can try the graphite pads, but most laptops use a low mounting pressure, which doesnt combine well with the graphite pads.

The cooling solution is often the limiting factor anyway, so 9 times out of 10 there is a very very minor difference if any.

The gamers nexus and der8auer video about thermal paste is a good watch if you haven't seen it.

Yeah true, I just thought since I will have it open anyway, and just got some MX-4

Still not decided whether to get it yet. The price is really good, just not sure about the cooling. I mean do I just get the 9300h + 1650 version if the 1660Ti is MAX-Q and will be power limit throttled anyway

Power limit and thermal throttling are two different things.

Also avoid MX-4 and nth1 on bare die applications. They were the shortest lived out of the pastes I've tested.

30 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Power limit and thermal throttling are two different things.

Also avoid MX-4 and nth1 on bare die applications. They were the shortest lived out of the pastes I've tested.

Sorry yes, you're right. I meant thermal throttling. Just used to talking about my ASUS laptop which power throttles.

Will take a while for the laptop to arrive so I could always order some more. What do you recommend?

Pretty sure Dell doesn't mind if you re-paste yourself, it's only if you cause physical damage to a component. I've had no issues with them so far.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

1 hour ago, laptopnoob678 said:

Sorry yes, you're right. I meant thermal throttling. Just used to talking about my ASUS laptop which power throttles.

Will take a while for the laptop to arrive so I could always order some more. What do you recommend?

Honestly I would leave it alone unless you are sure the paste is the problem.

If you are dead set on changing the paste, ic diamond is the thickest paste I can find locally and I routinely get 12-18 months out of it on laptops and graphics cards, which is about as good as you can expect on a bare die application. It does scratch the hell out of the die when you go to remove it.

You pretty much go thick and dry on the paste and it will resist pump out better or you go with a thin paste that will perform better for a much shorter period of time.

11 hours ago, laptopnoob678 said:

About to buy one of these laptops - Dell G3 3590

Here is the existing paste/thermal pad job out of the factory

https://youtu.be/3JNKZC5QLUw?t=265

I've read about this laptop getting fairly hot and thermal throttling, so I thought while I open the laptop to install more RAM, I could take the heatsink off and put new paste on. I have Arctic MX-4

While I've done this before a lot on old laptops, and I'm comfortable in doing it, I'm just wondering whether it's worth invalidating the warranty.

Thanks

The G3 has a critical design flaw with the hinge torque. It was revealed on NoteBookCkeck a month ago. Do NOT buy that model. It will fail very quickly

8 hours ago, laptopnoob678 said:

Cancel the order

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Some-Dell-G3-15-3590-owners-have-been-reporting-weak-bulging-or-broken-hinges-on-their-laptops.458541.0.html

@5x5 Thanks, I hadn't seen this.

I also have the exact same issue with an ASUS TUF FX504 (the metal hinge bit straight up snapped and as a result the plastic case came apart) and while the hinge didn't break on the FX505, it felt just as weak like it was about to break at any moment.

ASUS also refused to fix it.

What's surprising to me though, is that Dell won't fix it, since in my experience Dell's customer service is excellent. I once had a cooling fan that wasn't working properly, and also a key had come off the keyboard. It went from my house in the UK to Germany and back in 9 days (including weekends) and was fully fixed, including a brand new keyboard.

That's one of the reasons I wanted this model over the Legion Y540 (as well as the fact Dell keyboards are just better IMO)

Just now, laptopnoob678 said:

@5x5 Thanks, I hadn't seen this.

I also have the exact same issue with an ASUS TUF FX504 (the metal hinge bit straight up snapped and as a result the plastic case came apart) and while the hinge didn't break on the FX505, it felt just as weak like it was about to break at any moment.

ASUS also refused to fix it.

What's surprising to me though, is that Dell won't fix it, since in my experience Dell's customer service is excellent. I once had a cooling fan that wasn't working properly, and also a key had come off the keyboard. It went from my house in the UK to Germany and back in 9 days (including weekends) and was fully fixed, including a brand new keyboard.

That's one of the reasons I wanted this model over the Legion Y540 (as well as the fact Dell keyboards are just better IMO)

Dell won't address it because they would then have to issue a recall I'd they acknowledge a design defect. Their support is just as shit as most others. Premiums support is reserved for business models like ThinkPad, Latitude and EliteBook.

As we stand, the G3 has a MUCH weaker hinge than the FX and likely to break a few months after purchase. Warranty won't cover it else they lose millions of sales so the Y540 is the clear option. Either that or the Asus Zephyrus 15 with Ryzen 4000.

But yeah, carefully observe all aspects, most OEMs won't fix half the issues that appear.

P.S. the HP Pavilion Gaming is also worth a look imo

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Dell won't address it because they would then have to issue a recall I'd they acknowledge a design defect. Their support is just as shit as most others. Premiums support is reserved for business models like ThinkPad, Latitude and EliteBook.

As we stand, the G3 has a MUCH weaker hinge than the FX and likely to break a few months after purchase. Warranty won't cover it else they lose millions of sales so the Y540 is the clear option. Either that or the Asus Zephyrus 15 with Ryzen 4000.

But yeah, carefully observe all aspects, most OEMs won't fix half the issues that appear.

P.S. the HP Pavilion Gaming is also worth a look imo

God, I had a Toshiba Satellite Pro that I got for about £300 in 2009, lasted 6-7 years, taken apart numerous times, and it had no problems at all until something on the motherboard died.

I used to laugh when my old people would say "They don't build them like they used to"

Anyway I just spoke to the Dell rep, and he said the new models are being built with stronger hinges. Not a new design, but stronger material for the hinge lol...

I've got a record of the chat, and I know if anything were to happen AMEX will probably refund me anyway.

I'm getting a really good price and there are people out there who haven't had issues, so I'm still really tempted.

20 minutes ago, laptopnoob678 said:

God, I had a Toshiba Satellite Pro that I got for about £300 in 2009, lasted 6-7 years, taken apart numerous times, and it had no problems at all until something on the motherboard died.

I used to laugh when my old people would say "They don't build them like they used to"

Anyway I just spoke to the Dell rep, and he said the new models are being built with stronger hinges. Not a new design, but stronger material for the hinge lol...

I've got a record of the chat, and I know if anything were to happen AMEX will probably refund me anyway.

I'm getting a really good price and there are people out there who haven't had issues, so I'm still really tempted.

Well, he's lying at any rate. The Hinge issue isn't due to material strength at all - it's due to the self-torquing design. Lenovo also made the same fuck-up in 2014 with the Y50. Materials didn't help. People had to manually tune their hinges every 4-5 months. The G3 hinges are among the worst designs to come in the past 5 years. You're really better off buying anything else. Even the Acer Nitro 5 is worlds better.