Undervolting a Lenovo Legion Y540

Preface : Sincere apologies if I sound dumb or technologically-challenged.

So, I've been facing an issue with my laptop running too hot and thermal throttling a lot when playing games and when running heavy applications (typically BIM software, 3D modelling, rendering, photo/video editing, etc.).

I am running a Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop configured with the i7 9750H, RTX 2060 (mobile), 16GB RAM and a 1TB M.2 SSD.

I wanted to know if there was any way of undervolting any of my components to achieve better thermals and thus not thermal throttle like crazy. Even under the heaviest load like a rendering engine running at full blast, the maximum core speed my CPU reaches at best is 4GHz despite the official Intel website stating that the chip is capable of boosting up to 4.5GHz. Under such loads, I start to experience temperatures up to 90C on my device and the entire device starts thermal throttling and with heat dissipation occurring through the keyboard as well despite both the fans running at full blast, it becomes difficult to use the device.

I would like to know what i could possibly do to reduce the thermal throttling and how i could possibly achieve the higher boost values the chip is capable of..

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/ help. ❤️

13 minutes ago, vishal_adi said:

the maximum core speed my CPU reaches at best is 4GHz despite the official Intel website stating that the chip is capable of boosting up to 4.5GHz

4GHz is max all core boost while 4.5GHz is max SINGLE core boost. Hate that when Intel confusing consumers again

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

4GHz is max all core boost while 4.5GHz is max SINGLE core boost. Hate that when Intel confusing consumers again

Damn.. Thanks for telling me that mate.

Is there any possible way to reduce the temps on the chip though?

(I've still got over two years of warranty and ADP left so i want to know if Lenovo could do something hardware wise to bring it down whilst i try my best to drop temps from the software side of things..)

3 hours ago, vishal_adi said:

Is there any possible way to reduce the temps on the chip though?

Repaste, undervolt (might not help)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

5 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Repaste, undervolt (might not help)

Yeah, I thought about it too.. But I've still got over two years of warranty and ADP left and when i contacted Lenovo's tech support, they didnt have a clue about it and I'm still sitting here clueless :/

4 hours ago, vishal_adi said:

Yeah, I thought about it too.. But I've still got over two years of warranty and ADP left and when i contacted Lenovo's tech support, they didnt have a clue about it and I'm still sitting here clueless :/

They won't repaste for you. DIY. Make sure to unplug battery before begin

Desktop specs:

Spoiler