De-plugging PSU Cords

Lachrymal

First attempt at sleeving my own Corsair RM cables  and so far everything seems easier than I expected except taking out the wire and pin from the plug. We bought the tool for it but it's a pain in the ass to just get one out from the socket. The videos I've seen, I understand it takes some force but they didn't seem to have as much trouble as we are! Is it the series of PSU, are they all this frustrating, or are we doing something wrong?

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

Probably just inexperience, I'm sure by the time you are done you'll get the hang of it. ;)

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

.... are they all this frustrating, or are we doing something wrong?

sounds like you are on the right course. just a genuine PITA getting the tool to

cooperate with the pins. sometimes to get in the right frame of mind, i find

slamming my hand with a car door really gets you in the right ZEN to do this chore.

find a very comfortable chair (i use a tall back exec chair) and know that they will

just eventually come out. or i just buy wire, pins, connectors and sleeving and make

a new harness bundle. leaving the stock harness for position check for reference.

sounds like you are on the right course. just a genuine PITA getting the tool to

cooperate with the pins. sometimes to get in the right frame of mind, i find

slamming my hand with a car door really gets you in the right ZEN to do this chore.

find a very comfortable chair (i use a tall back exec chair) and know that they will

just eventually come out. or i just buy wire, pins, connectors and sleeving and make

a new harness bundle. leaving the stock harness for position check for reference.

losing-it.gif

No, really. I'm fine.

NZXT H440 l Inel Core i5-4670K l Z87-GD65 l MSI 780 Twin Frozr l Kraken x60 l Corsair RM 650 l Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb l Corsair Force GS 128 Gb l Teleios Sleeving l Acer H236HLbid l Corsair K70 Anodized Black l Roccat Kone Pure Color

How in the world do you get two wires into the same socket without causing bunching up?

IMG_20140221_092418_zps8e57bfff.jpg

How in the world do you get two wires into the same socket without causing bunching up?

Put one cable into the socket and join the 2 wires behind the motherboard.

Put one cable into the socket and join the 2 wires behind the motherboard.

But, I have to have two connectors from the PSU for the video card and if I take one off, I will need one long enough to go all the way from where I splice it to the gpu

and the second one on these cables is only like 4 inches long
so I would need another longer cable to splice in?

What tool did you buy? The OEM one is much easier to use than the ones most mod shops sell.

What tool did you buy? The OEM one is much easier to use than the ones most mod shops sell.

This

piggy-back connections are the beast of PITA. 16ga pin holding two 18ga wires

and the connector cavity barely holds it all. i've contacted a couple of pro-sleevers

and they kinda shy away from piggy back as what you are running into returns

unpleasant results.

usually have to use the heat-shrink heat-shrinkless method:

crimp wire to pin

terminate sleeve to pin with melting the sleeve, then using heat-shrink to compress

the sleeving. heat the heat-shrink which melts the under sleeve and shrinks the

sleeve.

remove heat-shrink

repeat.

Yeah, that's exactly the method were trying....hmmm. Except were not crimping anything because we arent making our own wires. Just using the stock from Corsair.

Yeah, that's exactly the method were trying....hmmm. Except were not crimping anything because we arent making our own wires. Just using the stock from Corsair.

well the first from the left look great, the white strands look to have missed the

shrink process and unfurled. either too hot and melting it completely or not

enough to resize the sleeve smaller. so pushing the wire(s) into the socket

skins the sleeving off the base wire.

I think we mis-measured the white one. Sleeve didn't make it all the way to the end. Was kind of hoping for a cleaner fit the piggy back cables are a bit bunched at the end and melted the cord in desperation to get it to squeeze in there. So, you're saying this a typical result on these cables? 

Were thinking of using a PCIe from a Corsair TX 750. No piggybacking and much easier to unplug. Do you think we can get away with that?

It might not be safe to mix the cables from the two. They may not be wired the same. The cables you purchase from Corsair will say which models of PSUs they'll work with. For example, the original AX1200 cables will not work with the AX850, even though the connectors seem like they will.

It might not be safe to mix the cables from the two. They may not be wired the same. The cables you purchase from Corsair will say which models of PSUs they'll work with. For example, the original AX1200 cables will not work with the AX850, even though the connectors seem like they will.

Do these Corsair Sleeved Cables  indicate compatibility between TX and RM series?

Those are indeed compatible with both. Apologies for that. I was just trying to save you the grief of frying any components had they not been. I have two older modular Corsair PSU's and the wires are not interchangeable.

I had just assumed that since one PSU was piggybacked and the other was not there would be differences in the internal wiring of the two.

It just occurred to me I said "de-plugging". It was first thing in the morning, whatevs..

As for making the sleeving job easier, We switched to the alternate PCIe cords from the other Corsair.  And already the job is process is easier. No piggy back cords and not a crapshoot to successfully unplug the wire. Why are the HX (sorry not TX) and CM cords different?

It's to do with the power supplies and their pinout at the modular connectors.

For example, if one PSU had a 3 x 2 modular connector with the top 3 being 12V and the bottom ground, and a second PSU had the top 3 as ground and the bottom 12V, even though a cable could plug into both, it would not be the same.

They remedy this by crossing the wires for one of the two PSUs' modular cable, and that makes the modular cables different from one another.

Hope that was clear enough.

Though as you pointed out, in your situation the two are compatible. The most important thing is that it makes sleeving the cables much easier.

Double wires are best handled like this: 

This gets rid of trying to push two wires into a single spot on the connector. If you dont have access to a solder iron you may splice the cable and twist them together really well and apply some super glue before putting down the sleeve and then making sure you are TOTALLY covering up that area with heatshrink. Also adhesive lined heatshrink works really well. Also properly applied electrical tape will work. I always suggest to solder them just for that extra bit of saftey and electric flow however I have seen the other methods used with no issues.

Also if you would like I could make you some double wires as I have done the same for people without a crimper or soldering iron.

If you wanted to take a single double wire from another psu because its longer and replace an already existing double wire on your current psu that would be fine. But make sure that you are following the same pinout on the psu you have. Reason being exactly what Skorpien explained.

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]