CPU choice

Hiya all, i'm building something ultra budget, and i found an mATX dell Optiplex 7010 motherboard, and in order to get something usable for benchmarking, i basically have to go xeon. My dilemma is though, is the Xeon E3-1290 v2 compatible with this board? or should i only get the first version of the 1290. Thanks in advance. 

Joseph M. Gowen

What??

Benchmarking is just running tests.

You can benchmark literally anything, even a potato PC.

The point of upgrading a computer is to get better performance to do certain tasks, not to run benchmarks.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

What??

Benchmarking is just running tests.

You can benchmark literally anything, even a potato PC.

The point of upgrading a computer is to get better performance to do certain tasks, not to run benchmarks.

well i'm not planning on doing anything with it, just to make it and see what kind of numbers it can make. Maybe eventually i'll give it to a friend or something, but i dont really want to do anything with it other than benchmark, and see how cheap i can make something that works. Thanks for the zero advice in that post, real big help.

Joseph M. Gowen

6 minutes ago, The_Maskarade said:

well i'm not planning on doing anything with it, just to make it and see what kind of numbers it can make. Maybe eventually i'll give it to a friend or something, but i dont really want to do anything with it other than benchmark, and see how cheap i can make something that works. Thanks for the zero advice in that post, real big help.

So you want to spend money to run a program that spits out a useless number?

Jeez you might as well type 100x50 into a calculator and also get a big number...

Also if you did some quick googling you would have found that there is no guarantee if a CPU will or will not work in those dell computers, because none of the xeons are on the supported device list, so it's just a gamble.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/optiplex-7010-sff-and-xeon-e3-1240.3395215/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

So you want to spend money to run a program that spits out a useless number?

Jeez you might as well type 100x50 into a calculator and also get a big number...

Also if you did some quick googling you would have found that there is no guarantee if a CPU will or will not work in those dell computers, because none of the zeons are on the supported device list, so it's just a gamble.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/optiplex-7010-sff-and-xeon-e3-1240.3395215/

well thanks for the beaming positivity, i really appreciate you berating me for an idea i have. And then not even giving a clear or definitive answer on the subject, and just providing a link to a tom's hardware post. Asshole.

Joseph M. Gowen

6 minutes ago, The_Maskarade said:

well thanks for the beaming positivity, i really appreciate you berating me for an idea i have. And then not even giving a clear or definitive answer on the subject, and just providing a link to a tom's hardware post. Asshole.

The answer is there really isn't an answer because they're not officially supported, so you either find out on your own or you build a proper computer with suppoted hardware.

Also, now's really not the time to be wasting money.

Spoiler