Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VM/Hypervisor vs network storage?

JovanD

Im gonna be upgrading my storage soon and i wanna run large software parity RAID, but the thing is i don't really trust Windows for that.

So i figured i got two options, set up a NAS or set up a Linux or Oracle as main OS and than run windows trough VM with pcie passthrough.

I really want to levrage advantages of ext4 filesystem while using Windows.

What are the pros and cons of both?

17 minutes ago, JovanD said:

Im gonna be upgrading my storage soon and i wanna run large software parity RAID, but the thing is i don't really trust Windows for that.

So i figured i got two options, set up a NAS or set up a Linux or Oracle as main OS and than run windows trough VM with pcie passthrough.

Honestly I suppose it depends on what you're using the system for. I would never recommend running a gaming system via a virtual machine, I mean I suppose if you have to you have to. But I've never had a problem with Windows RAID. 

The issue with a NAS is that unless you use thunderbolt or a direct fibre connection to your system, you're not really going to get very good speeds. 

The issue with running Windows through a VM even with PCIe passthrough is that you're going to experience some delay, and some compatibility issues depending on which hypervisor you use.  

I think both are messy and not very good ideas if you plan on running games from that storage, honestly. 

If you want to use the storage for backup, NAS/SAN all the way.  Otherwise just run it through Windows, or switch to Linux.  I made the switch, and I would never go back. But I don't really play too many games.  Up to you. 

__     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______      _____     ______        __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______  
/\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \    /\  __-.  /\  ___\      /\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \ 
\ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/    \ \ \/\ \ \ \  __\      \ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/ 
 \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\       \ \____-  \ \_____\     \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\   
  \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/        \/____/   \/_____/      \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/   

__   __   ___                    __           ___       __   ___           
|__| /  \ |__) |__     |    |  |  /\  /__`    |__| |__  |    |__) |__  |  | |    
|  | \__/ |    |___    |    |/\| /~~\ .__/    |  | |___ |___ |    |    \__/ |___ 

Thanks for the tip about fiber/thunderbolt, but they seem hard to find and pricey. Could USB 3.0 work? 

26 minutes ago, JovanD said:

Thanks for the tip about fiber/thunderbolt, but they seem hard to find and pricey. Could USB 3.0 work? 

You would be better off with some cheap Mellanox 10Gb cards off ebay and with SFP+ DAC or cheap fibre SFP+ modules and patch cables off fs.com then doing direct connectivity between the NAS and desktop.

Storage Spaces in Windows does a pretty decent job so you can avoid the hassle of a second system or running Windows VM, wouldn't really advise this when it is actually a primary use case of the system.

I'd build a NAS, but only if you had other uses for it.

I've had some bad experiences with Windows 10 that's why im using Win7 to this day, il try server version some day.

Also do you have any advice on expanding sata ports? Are those ebay sata splitter boards any good?

4 hours ago, JovanD said:

Also do you have any advice on expanding sata ports? Are those ebay sata splitter boards any good?

Personally I use LSI 9211 in IT mode, cheap and good quality and abundant on ebay.

12 hours ago, JovanD said:

Not so much ext4, but I run a windows VM on top of lvm with caching with good performance which can be configured for software raid. You get the software parity and windows doesn't see anything except a hard drive. You can use any underlying kvm supported storage, lvm, zfs, btrfs, etc as backing. Best performance for windows will still be direct passthrough of storage, ssd or nvme, but the flexibility of a volume manager for me is worth it.