Can't format Windows hibernated disk

Hi,

I was using my desktop today normally and I stepped away from my desk for an hour or so and when I came back there was a message that my computer was unable to find a bootable device to start the system. I tried reinstalling Windows, but my SSD doesn't show up on the list.

However, when I plug the SSD into my Mac, Paragon recognizes it as a hibernated disk and I can't format the disk using the disk utility, but I can access all the files inside of it. I need to somehow be able to use the computer again, Windows doesn't let me in. I've never had this problem before. Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this?

Thank you!

photo_2020-04-26 23.49.24.jpeg

Sounds to me an OSX limitation. Moved to: Linux, mac and other OSs section.

It is not plugged into the desktop, like it has always been, but still, it doesn't boot.

there are so many things that could have gone wrong here it's hard to give any advice.  Plug it into your pc, check the bios, see if it shows up.  Check the cables, etc.

You need to troubleshoot why the device is not showing up as it's obvious the drive is not physically broken.

While I agree with jdfthetech, I have some blurred memories about that "unable to mount hibernated disk" issue. A quick "linux mount hibernated ntfs" in your favorite search engine should give you some hints.

Maybe you can give it a try on your own until we collected more details that makes helping you easier.

Does the BIOS of the PC recognize the drive? Have you checked the cables (both ends)? Have you tried power cycling (Google) the drive (and have you tried putting it back after connecting it to the Mac)?

Contents of the drive don't affect the PCs ability to recognize the device, so until you sort that out, breaking the stored Windows shouldn't be a priority. Once that's sorted, here's some additional steps:

Have you disconnected all external storage devices from the PC?

Have you reconnected any internal drives you have disconnected since the last successful boot, if any? (The extend of Windows' stupidity is beyond human imagination. "This is my boot drive? Nah, Imma put some shit on that other thing too!")

What power saving options you had in place? Was is expected that the system would power down during your absence, or did it crash?

Did you try to forcefully mount it? (The second option.)

Since the Mac reads the drive, consider creating a virtual machine and using that to wake the Windows up to remove the lock.

I suspect that anything not Windows and macOS will ignore the hibernating Windows, so if you have something like a game console or a router with external storage features, those might be more willing to wipe the drive. (Linux is a safe bet, even if they notice the Windows, they are unlikely to pamper you.)

On 4/27/2020 at 5:59 AM, benitiv said:

While I agree with jdfthetech, I have some blurred memories about that "unable to mount hibernated disk" issue. A quick "linux mount hibernated ntfs" in your favorite search engine should give you some hints.

Maybe you can give it a try on your own until we collected more details that makes helping you easier.

Even if you can mount in linux os mac that doesn't actually help with the issue of the the bios not being able to find a boot drive. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

7 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Even if you can mount in linux os mac that doesn't actually help with the issue of the the bios not being able to find a boot drive. 

I totally missed that. Please forgive if you can in your generousness.

Well then it's more of a BIOS related issue then?

I just had a similar issue this week where a hard disc was shown in the OS but not in BIOS and it was just a simple BIOS option I overlooked.