My friends laptop wont play minecraft... help?

My friend has a fairly new laptop, I don't know the brand. It has an i7 6700u, 8gbs of ram, a 256gb ssd. But it cant run minecraft.. any ideas? 

Minecraft settings are optimized to run faster. Tried looking for malware, nothing showed up. Tried everything I can think of, still no luck. The only thing that's weird is it cant update windows past 1803... could that be causing an issue?

15 minutes ago, TwiceBaked said:

My friend has a fairly new laptop, I don't know the brand. It has an i7 6700u, 8gbs of ram, a 256gb ssd. But it cant run minecraft.. any ideas? 

Minecraft settings are optimized to run faster. Tried looking for malware, nothing showed up. Tried everything I can think of, still no luck. The only thing that's weird is it cant update windows past 1803... could that be causing an issue?

Did you try running the windows update troubleshooter?

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

Just now, Thomas001 said:

Did you try running the windows update troubleshooter?

Yeah, just said it ran into an issue and couldnt update, reverting to previous version

Could you elaborate on the issue?

Does Minecraft not run at all or are there performance issues?

I would do a clean install of Windows regardless, as the update issue is a red flag IMO.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, TwiceBaked said:

Yeah, just said it ran into an issue and couldnt update, reverting to previous version

For Minecraft try running the troubshoot compatability and for the windows update can you please post a screenshot of what the troubleshooter says?

• My system specs
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

13 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Could you elaborate on the issue?

Does Minecraft not run at all or are there performance issues?

I would do a clean install of Windows regardless, as the update issue is a red flag IMO.

It has performance issues

9 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

For Minecraft try running the troubshoot compatability and for the windows update can you please post a screenshot of what the troubleshooter says?

I did it a while ago so i dont have the laptop on me

1 minute ago, TwiceBaked said:

I did it a while ago so i dont have the laptop on me

Can you tell your friend to do it?

• My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

40 minutes ago, TwiceBaked said:

Yes, update past 1803 first.  It could be that your friends laptop is infected.  Viruses sometimes prevent updates from occuring.

However, I would do the Windows troubleshooter first.

54 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Yes, update past 1803 first.  It could be that your friends laptop is infected.  Viruses sometimes prevent updates from occuring.

However, I would do the Windows troubleshooter first.

I'll see if she can do it. She scanned with antimalware and it didnt detect anything 

A computer cannot "scan" itself - especially if the virus is stopping updates.  You have to scan the drive using a bootable Windows USB.

Well designed viruses will stop Windows updates which will remove them.

So, you have to update Windows.

ANninability to update Windows shows that there a problem with the computer.

22 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

A computer cannot "scan" itself - especially if the virus is stopping updates.  You have to scan the drive using a bootable Windows USB.

Well designed viruses will stop Windows updates which will remove them.

So, you have to update Windows.

ANninability to update Windows shows that there a problem with the computer.

I see. To clear all of this up, she had switched laptops on me and didnt tell me. Which is why the virus scan revealed nothing. Because its clean, but had a celeron processor xD which explains the performance issues. However, she did start the scan on the actual laptop this time and in a matter of seconds there were already 12 threats found. So shes gonna let the scanner finish, quarantine and delete the viruses, malware, or whatever it has, and then update windows. I'll let you know what happens. 🙂

@Hilltrot so after about 3 hours of scanning and deleting threats... there was about 200 of them.. dear lord. Windows is now updating. Minecraft opened no issue. It was a little laggy at first but it smoothed itself out and with a little optimization it should be running fine

1 hour ago, TwiceBaked said:

@Hilltrot so after about 3 hours of scanning and deleting threats... there was about 200 of them.. dear lord. Windows is now updating. Minecraft opened no issue. It was a little laggy at first but it smoothed itself out and with a little optimization it should be running fine

Glad things worked out.