Noob ass question from someone who expects computers to work as instructed.

BattleToads

So I built my first PC in 1996 and have no problems working my PC to this day. This phone bullshit, however, is a different story. 

Am I wrong in assuming that I should be able to view my phone's contents (especially when connected to a PC) without installing some bullshit app that has ads? And then wants access to my data after launch?

Let's say I have a text conversation with my gf that is two years in duration. How can I access all the photos and files that have been sent via said conversation without installing some corporate application that still doesn't work as intended? 

Edit: Android. LG G6 if that matters. 

What program are you instructed to install? 

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x - GPU - XFX RX 5700xt Thicc iii - RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 8gb x 4 -

PSU - Corsair 750rm Gold - MOBO - Aorus b450 Pro - CASE - NZXT h510 Elite - AIO - NZXT Kraken x63 280mm

DISPLAY - HKC 34" 1440p 100hz Ultrawide & Samsung 27" Overhead. 

On 4/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, BattleToads said:

So I built my first PC in 1996 and have no problems working my PC to this day. This phone bullshit, however, is a different story. 

Am I wrong in assuming that I should be able to view my phone's contents (especially when connected to a PC) without installing some bullshit app that has ads? And then wants access to my data after launch?

Let's say I have a text conversation with my gf that is two years in duration. How can I access all the photos and files that have been sent via said conversation without installing some corporate application that still doesn't work as intended? 

Edit: Android. LG G6 if that matters. 

You mean picture messages as in MMS? Think you may have to go through the conversation manually and save them all to your photos and transfer them that way where you should be able to find them easily. Unless the phone has a menu for all the files sent like your main messenger apps and iMessage do. 

Side note if your PC is from 1996 what version of Windows are you on? You might have some issue with modern devices not being supported. Especially as your phone is likely 64 bit only and your PC is likely 32 bit only.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?