cpu fan problem

krta

Hello,

I've recently noticed that my temperatures were over the top reaching to 100 degrees celcius, so i started investigating. After a little while i found out that my cpu fan isnt spinning.

Found out that my cpu fan spins about every 5-10 minutes on max rpm for about 5-10 seconds, and then stops completely, which results in 100 degrees celcius while gaming.

Tried using speedfan, Argus Monitor or Afterburner but none of them had any effect on the fan, it still didnt spin. I looked into BIOS and it says that the CPU Fan speed is N/A and the System Fan speed is N/A too.

Tried turning off Smartfan in BIOS which helped for one restart, it constantly was spinning at max rpm so i left it like that until i did what i had to.

After restarting is didnt turn on again, and in Argus Monitor whenever it was spinning it showed me that my SYS_FAN1 is spinning and my CPU_FAN is at 0 rpm. Could it be that my fan is connectec somewhere else than it should be?

Faulty fan already, maybe?

How about testing the fan itself to other place? Or get another fan probably the quickest way to solve it.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Well it worked today, its just that it picks the time when it wants to spin, i dont have an extra fan.

I cleaned it with air like 2 weeks ago so there shouldnt be a dust problem.

And I have the fan for 2 years, so it could be faulty, ill wait for some responses and if nothing helps ill probably order a new one.

7 minutes ago, krta said:

Well it worked today, its just that it picks the time when it wants to spin, i dont have an extra fan.

I cleaned it with air like 2 weeks ago so there shouldnt be a dust problem.

What I know is CPU fan needs to be constantly turned on, even if that's slow af, for at least dissipating small heat it produced from idling.

Well, can't let the CPU fried itself, eh?

Rather to replace the fan as a precautionary action than... Making your CPU a hot pan. 100 degrees isn't healthy at all for CPUs.

Or might try the fan port just beside the one you use, tho. Looks like the same PWM header.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

I tried pulling out the pin but id didnt really want to so i didnt want to force it, cuz i dont really know much about these kinds of things so i didnt wanna break it, so is it safe to take it out and plug it into the other one?

4 minutes ago, krta said:

I tried pulling out the pin but id didnt really want to so i didnt want to force it, cuz i dont really know much about these kinds of things so i didnt wanna break it, so is it safe to take it out and plug it into the other one?

4-pin fan plugs have some kind of... Clip that prevents accidental removing. Well, press that clip while pulling the header. Not so hard either that you can pull the motherboard away lol

Well, it looks the exact same 4-pin anyway, so it should be fine.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

Hey, 

Today i found that i can make the fan rotate by spinning "giving it a push" you could say.

I started spinning it and it caught on and started spinning on its own, but still going on full blast. (Happened 2 times so it should'nt be a coincidence)

Where could be the problem?

17 minutes ago, krta said:

Hey, 

Today i found that i can make the fan rotate by spinning "giving it a push" you could say.

I started spinning it and it caught on and started spinning on its own, but still going on full blast. (Happened 2 times so it should'nt be a coincidence)

Where could be the problem?

Its probably just old. If you want to DYI fix, you can apply some lubricant to motor.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv