Choosing Case Fans Help!

Schada

Hey guys,

I need some help choosing some case fans that make the most sense for my build.  I'm building my first computer and purchased the Phanteks ECLIPSE P300 TEMPERED GLASS case with a Ryzen 5 3600x and a GTX 1050 Ti.  Not a crazy build, but first time buying case fans and building.  I'm looking to buy 3 120mm fans (1 on the top of the case pushing air out, & 2 on the front pulling air in).  I don't need RBG, $30-70 budget (total), and something quiet but doesn't need to be completely silent.  Here are my questions...

1) The case has mesh dust filters. Should I get a pressure or airflow fans?

2) PWM or DC. PWM sounds better but I've google'd that they can be louder than DC. Is that true?

2a) Does PWM make sense for intake and output fans? BTW, my motherboard does have 4 pin fan headers.

3) Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Where are you shopping / located?

Fans need good static pressure to perform well behind the solid front panel.

Most pwm fans exhibit some ticking at low rpm due to how it's powered but some don't. The lower rpm achieved with pwm can often outweigh the ticking. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, tank234 said:

Why are you suggesting expensive Noctua at $31 each ? He doesn't need to spend that much to get decent fans.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:12 PM, Schada said:

Hey guys,

I need some help choosing some case fans that make the most sense for my build.  I'm building my first computer and purchased the Phanteks ECLIPSE P300 TEMPERED GLASS case with a Ryzen 5 3600x and a GTX 1050 Ti.  Not a crazy build, but first time buying case fans and building.  I'm looking to buy 3 120mm fans (1 on the top of the case pushing air out, & 2 on the front pulling air in).  I don't need RBG, $30-70 budget (total), and something quiet but doesn't need to be completely silent.  Here are my questions...

1) The case has mesh dust filters. Should I get a pressure or airflow fans?

2) PWM or DC. PWM sounds better but I've google'd that they can be louder than DC. Is that true?

2a) Does PWM make sense for intake and output fans? BTW, my motherboard does have 4 pin fan headers.

3) Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Arctic P12 fans are really good for the money. You will be fine just buying two for the front and having the one pre-installed as exhaust. That setup isn't going to get very hot anyway. 

The PWM PST ones are good as you can daisy chain them off one fan header.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, lee32uk said:

Arctic P12 fans are really good for the money. You will be fine just buying two for the front and having the one pre-installed as exhaust. That setup isn't going to get very hot anyway. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's another question.  I finished putting my build together a couple days ago and the CPU fan (stock Wraith Spire) is louder than I expected.  Do you have any suggestions for a better quieter one?  I'd budget around $50.

38 minutes ago, Schada said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's another question.  I finished putting my build together a couple days ago and the CPU fan (stock Wraith Spire) is louder than I expected.  Do you have any suggestions for a better quieter one?  I'd budget around $50.

The Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo is a great cooler for the money. Not sure what availability is like with the current situation, but they are usually under $50.

It comes in a few different fan colours.

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html

There is also the single fan version which should be a bit cheaper.

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/freezer-34-esports.html

On 4/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, lee32uk said:

I actually wanted to get this but I don't think they export it to my region, which is sad.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Also, why the P12's for the case and not the F12's?  Looks like the P12s are meant for heatsinks while the F12's are meant for the case.  Is it because of the mesh filters?

23 minutes ago, Schada said:

Also, why the P12's for the case and not the F12's?  Looks like the P12s are meant for heatsinks while the F12's are meant for the case.  Is it because of the mesh filters?

You can still use the P12's as general case fans. They should be quieter than the F12 fans. Also the P300 case has a pretty restricted front panel as well. You only get the vents at the top/bottom so a static pressure fan would be better.

Thanks for the clarification.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I appreciate it.