Astro A40'S

Shd0w2

So I was looking at the astro a40 headset alone, not the mixamp, I am new to audio so use easy to understand words please ;_; . When I was looking at the headset, it said I need the external mixamp to enable 7.1 surround in it.

My questions:

Is there another way to enable the 7.1? 

Would I notice a difference from the original surround level thing?

What is the original sound level? 2.2? 5.1? I don't know. 

Lastly, is it even worth it?    (The headet and amp, tell me about both)

Diamond 5 in League :)

I would not recommend. They will sound okay but the mic isn't good. I would recommend something like DT 990, Fiio E10, and a Blue Snowball.

Quote me to get a reply!

The Mixamp has dolby headphone technology that simulates virtual surround sound. Without it you'll just have stereo sound. I wouldn't get the A40's without the mixamp - the mixamp completes the package. It's primary function/use should be with console gaming or console/pc gaming. There are better alternatives for PC headsets (although I own A40's and love them, it's just everyone else seems to say they're not that great when compared to PC-only sets)

Astros are known for quite a bit of bass which in fps games can sometimes drown out other sounds, like footsteps. Although some people like it as it makes explosions a lot more fun.

Without the mixamp it'll be in stereo mode. Most pc games have options to select "Headphone" mode in the game options which will usually give good positional accuracy anyway so 7.1 or 5.1 is not really necessary.

I think you'll find most people would say that Astro headsets are like most "Gaming" Headsets pretty bad at audio in general.

Headphones such as the ATH-M50's or AD-700x, aswell as several other headphones are quite highly regarded as having fantastic audio fidelity at a cheap price ($100-$150)

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

yeah go with ath m50x or beyerdynamic custom one pros and either get the mic attachment for the beyerdynamics or a standalone mic.

M50's are like the worst headphones ever for gaming though, the soundstage (positional audio) is SO narrow. but those AD700X headphones are supposed to be amazing for FPS games, although they have virtually no bass, up to you if you want a lot or bass or not. if you want a lot of bass in good headphones, for gaming, get Beyerdynamic DT990, but be aware, they're higher impedance, so you _might_ need an amp to get them loud enough for you. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

The Mixamp has dolby headphone technology that simulates virtual surround sound. Without it you'll just have stereo sound. I wouldn't get the A40's without the mixamp - the mixamp completes the package. It's primary function/use should be with console gaming or console/pc gaming. There are better alternatives for PC headsets (although I own A40's and love them, it's just everyone else seems to say they're not that great when compared to PC-only sets)

Indeed, their only valuable feature is easy console compatibility.

M50's are like the worst headphones ever for gaming though, the soundstage (positional audio) is SO narrow. but those AD700X headphones are supposed to be amazing for FPS games, although they have virtually no bass, up to you if you want a lot or bass or not. if you want a lot of bass in good headphones, for gaming, get Beyerdynamic DT990, but be aware, they're higher impedance, so you _might_ need an amp to get them loud enough for you. 

Have got the AD700x's and they are just amazing at positional audio and accuracy.

Can hear every detail while im gaming.Id recommend these if you mainly play games and dont listen to music that often

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

I wouldn't call them the worst. I use them for gaming and I have absolutely no objections. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

I wouldn't call them the worst. I use them for gaming and I have absolutely no objections. 

well they're the worst I've tried for gaming, and it would seem I yet again managed to leave out some words: I was supposed to say the worst headphones for FPS gaming.

well they're the worst I've tried for gaming, and it would seem I yet again managed to leave out some words: I was supposed to say the worst headphones for FPS gaming.

You must have access to some very good headphones then because the M50's are near the top of my list. 

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

You must have access to some very good headphones then because the M50's are near the top of my list. 

Right now, I have M50's, Shure SRH440 with 840 pads, Sennheiser PC360 (very good for FPS games) and JBL J33 in-ears.I also have a pair of CHC Silverado's on the way. I've had three pairs of Steelseries Siberia v2, and I've also tried Razer Carcharias, Tiamat 7.1 and Corsair Vengeance 2000 at friends places.