Folding@Home Babysitter

On 4/21/2020 at 4:38 AM, Koppa315 said:

Creating a place to discuss the Folding@Home Babysitter script

It has been noticed that pause and un-pausing slots that are stuck in a waiting status looking for work has improved the clients ability to connect and download work units. That's where the Babysitter script that @danielocdh wrote comes in, it checks the Folding@Home client periodically and pauses and un-pauses slots that are stuck waiting on Work Server Assignment. A few people are using this now to try to help manage Folding@Home clients, so I figured it might be easier to create a topic on it for instructions, feedback, in case people are having issues and to provide updates. Easier than running around the different topics that have referenced it. I've been working with @danielocdh to update this script here and there to ensure it works with the recently released version of the Folding@Home Client and fix other issues and add new features

It can be found on GitHub currently, as of writing this topic, the script is at version 1.8 and will now tell you periodically if there are updates.

At the top of the script you can find options as well as a how to for installing Python 3

Installing Python 3 on Windows:

Reveal hidden contents

Good guide already written here: https://www.howtogeek.com/197947/how-to-install-python-on-windows/ (Scroll down to "How to Install Python 3")

Installing Babysitter Script on Windows:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Create a folder somewhere easy e.g. 

c:\babysitter

2. Open notepad
  3. Copy and Paste script from https://gist.github.com/jhutchings/1f3ac2f27790506b5e9bd0c1ec356d49
  4. Edit options section as needed, most people should be able to leave the defaults unless they have a different setup, descriptions of the options can be found on the topic below
  5. Save file as babysitter.py in c:\babysitter
  6. Open command prompt and go to c:\babysitter (if you followed the above install guide)

Start > Command Prompt
    Type: cd c:\babysitter
    Hit Enter
    Type: python3 babysitter
    Hit Enter

7. All done, let those proteins fold

Options Available:

Reveal hidden contents
  • hosts = Comma separated quoted string of hosts or ip adresses that can include port if you are using non standard ports, useful if you're using multiple machines (Default: 'localhost')
    • 'localhost'
    • '127.0.0.1'
    • 'localhost', '192.168.1.15:36330', '192.168.1.16'
  • hostsPassword = Quoted string, leave as just '' if you are not using a password or the machine is on the password exempt list (Default: '')
  • restartLimit = Time in seconds, before Babysitter will attempt to pause+unpause the slot (Default: 10 * 60)
  • checkEvery = Time in seconds, Time between checks on all the hosts listed above (Default: 2 * 60)
  • checkUpdate = True or False, Should the script check GitHub if there is an update (Default: True)
  • checkUpdateCycles = Number, Number of check hosts cycles before checking GitHub if there is a script update. Multiply this by checkEvery and it will tell you how long between checks (Default: 30)
    • If checkEvery is default and checkUpdateCycles default it'll check every hour ( 2 * 60 * 30 => 1 hour)
  • tConTimeout = Time in seconds, How long to wait trying to connect to FAH Client (Default: 15)
  • tReadTimeout = Time in seconds, How long to wait trying after a command has been sent to FAH Client (Default: 10)
  • testMode = True or False, if set to True: checkEvery=6 and restartLimit=0 but won't actually pause+unpause slots (Default: False)

Babysitter is such a useful script, thankyou for answering my prayers

On 5/7/2020 at 3:22 AM, Harpo said:

@Koppa315 Thank you very much, it's much more clear to me now.  I also ran it all past my son (who is fluent in Python) and he was impressed with your code.

Thanks also for the fine script!  This is what I've been doing manually since I started folding, but I'm not anywhere near so prompt and reliable.  I'm trying to keep 3x 2080ti, 2x 1070ti, a 2060 and a 1660ti busy 24/7, and it is a challenge.  I'm retired (and a pc nut) so this really makes me feel like I'm doing something useful right now.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, LTT_TsiSport said:

Babysitter is such a useful script, thankyou for answering my prayers

Credit goes to @danielocdh for creating this, I've only been making some updates and created a GitHub gist so we can track it a bit easier :D

Nice setup for folding @Harpo!! I'm currently on two GTX 980s and every month I try to spin up an Azure VM since I have credit on there from work for free (might as well use it for something right?)

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered that this script is able to check on remote hosts as well.  And here I've been running the script locally on every computer like a sucker.  Yeah, yeah, RTFM, it's literally the first option available, etc, but you see, I already didn't do that, so it's nice that in preparation for altering the script to add that capability, I found that it was already there.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Babysitter might never again be needed:

v7.6.11
 - Reduce max delay from 6 hours to 1.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz