gpu usage drops rtx 2070 super

I just bought a new pc and for some reason I'm having weird fps drops that happen in every game and even while just browsing the web or in the desktop.

These fps drops happen at the same time with gpu usage drops,

the attached image shows my gpu usage while playing cs go, its usually at 40% and I get 380 fps and then the usage drops to 0% and back up and I get 20 fps.

These drops could happen two to three times a minute in game but rarely happen while browsing the web.(I tried updating the drivers but nothing changed)

image.thumb.png.fcfa4af3836453e478d5ad94ed19d5c6.png

My specs are

Ryzen5 3600

Asus b450 prime

Corsair16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Memory - Vengeance® LPX - Black

GALAX GeForce RTX2070 Super

XPG ASX8200PNP-512GT-C

2TB - 3.5 inch -SATA3 6Gb/s - 7200rpm - 256MB Cache - BarraCuda

If you guys have any idea what is causing the problem and how to fix it ill be happy to try it.

380 fps?  Really?  Not sure what settings you are running at to get that speed.

First, have you tried

1. Use Geforce Experience to set the graphical settings?

2. Look for any other programs which may be interrupting CS:GO

try with all the highest settings. and do what hilltrot said

i9-10980xe 4.5ghz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ultra clocked at 1965mhz and memory clocked at 8417mhz | 128gb 3200mhz |

Also I have heard of the 3600 bottlenecking but still not sure because the 3600 is at 15% usage..

i9-10980xe 4.5ghz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ultra clocked at 1965mhz and memory clocked at 8417mhz | 128gb 3200mhz |

1 minute ago, talklogan said:

Also I have heard of the 3600 bottlenecking but still not sure because the 3600 is at 15% usage..

It's not a bottlenecking issue. DDU your drivers and don't install GeForce Experience - that's bloatware and tends to cause problems

12 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

380 fps?  Really?  Not sure what settings you are running at to get that speed.

First, have you tried

1. Use Geforce Experience to set the graphical settings?

2. Look for any other programs which may be interrupting CS:GO

I play at 4:3 just because I'm used to it so think its the reason for the high fps.I just tried 1 and 2 and the usage drops are still there.

10 minutes ago, talklogan said:

I don't think the 3600 is the problem because the fps drops happen at the same time with the usage drops in the cpu.

Are you saying that the cpu is causing the gpu usage drops?

Just now, captainmonkftw said:

I don't think the 3600 is the problem because the fps drops happen at the same time with the usage drops in the cpu.

Are you saying that the cpu is causing the gpu usage drops?

I don't think it is either.  What monitor are you using?

Have you tried

1.  Capping the FPS?

2. Not playing at 4:3 ratio?  

z

1 minute ago, talklogan said:

Its not. the only thing I can think of is programs running in the backround. Such as, bloatware.

GFe is definitely well known for causing problems and we always recommend removing it first

Yeah like the game ready drivers with random software just for one game..

Just now, Hilltrot said:

I don't think it is either.  What monitor are you using?

Have you tried

1.  Capping the FPS?

2. Not playing at 4:3 ratio?  

I have tried capping the fps and the drops were also present while playing other sames such as doom eternal and I didn't play it on 4:3.

I'm using an "old" monitor with just vga and dvi and using a display port to dvi cable 

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

GFe is definitely well known for causing problems and we always recommend removing it first

I've used it for years and haven't had a problem.  Stop blaming the Unicorn.

14 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's not a bottlenecking issue. DDU your drivers and don't install GeForce Experience - that's bloatware and tends to cause problems

Ill try it.

1 minute ago, Hilltrot said:

I've used it for years and haven't had a problem.  Stop blaming the Unicorn.

I've had multiple issues on multiple machines because of it. I'm blaming the bloatware, not the unicorn

2 minutes ago, captainmonkftw said:

Ill try it.

If that doesn't do anything send your gpu temps.

1 minute ago, captainmonkftw said:

I have tried capping the fps and the drops were also present while playing other sames such as doom eternal and I didn't play it on 4:3.

I'm using an "old" monitor with just vga and dvi and using a display port to dvi cable 

I still would go with a possible outside program interrupting your system - possible malware?

Otherwise, if you have a spare drive, you can use a clean install and test that out.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I've had multiple issues on multiple machines because of it. I'm blaming the bloatware, not the unicorn

Interesting.  GFe must just hate you personally.

If GFe caused problems like this on CS:GO, one would hear about it all over the Nvidia forums.

He can get rid of GFe if he wants and unlike bloatware or ATI drivers, it will be easy to remove.

1 minute ago, Hilltrot said:

Interesting.  GFe must just hate you personally.

If GFe caused problems like this on CS:GO, one would hear about it all over the Nvidia forums.

He can get rid of GFe if he wants and unlike bloatware or ATI drivers, it will be easy to remove.

You mean these forums?
https://techloris.com/geforce-experience-wont-open/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/275960/geforce-experience-not-working/

27 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Nope - not like that at all.

First, the problems mentioned in these rants are not discussed by the OP.  Problems repeat in the same way.  "Bloatware" doesn't magically cause problems to only a few people.

It would be similar to the Red Dead Redemption launch.  A large number of people have the same repeatable problem.

* Thread cleaned *

21 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

* snip *

@5x5 is trying to provide troubleshooting steps to help the OP, he never stated the GFe was the sole cause of the OP's issues, but since no one knows what the issue is, members helping are going down a list of potential causes.

If you want to discuss GFe, then that should be done in another thread. Helping the OP fix his issue should be the focus here, and uninstalling ONE software isn't going to do anything other than provide feedback on what the issue is and where it could be, plus, that software can always be reinstalled if it's not the issue (that stands for any piece of software, not just GFe BTW).

So please, focus on helping the OP, and if you're not interested in that, then please do not reply.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

i tried it and have been playing cs for 30 minutes so far its looks like it worked but i have to go, I will post an update after a longer playing session to see if its really fixed but rn ur solution looks very promising

thanks everyone for the help!!

6 minutes ago, captainmonkftw said:

i tried it and have been playing cs for 30 minutes so far its looks like it worked but i have to go, I will post an update after a longer playing session to see if its really fixed but rn ur solution looks very promising

Happy to be of service :)

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 7:33 AM, captainmonkftw said:

Did preforming DDU help your issue? I'm having the same issue but I have a 5700xt