Questions about iCUE SP120 RGB PRO Performance 120mm Triple Fan Kit

LennyD

Hello. I intend on buying an iCUE SP120 RGB PRO Performance 120mm Triple Fan Kit and for as far as i have seen these coolers have to be connected to the motherboard and the node they come with. I only have 2 available 4 pin connectors on my motherboard and that means i would have to connect one cooler directly to the PSU.

My questions are:

1) Im assuming that if i do connect one fan to directly to the PSU instead of the motherboard i wont be able to control the RPM or any color effects?

2) If i acquire an adapter that allows multiple fans to be connected to the motherboard through one 4 pin connector will the software detect all the fans attached to this adapter? Or how would that work?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | Motherboard -  MSI B550-A PRO | RAM 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8GB, DDR4, 3600MHz | Graphics Card -ASUS STRIX 1060 6 GB| Power Supply - Corsair RM650x  | Case - Corsair Carbide Series 275R

Each fan will have two plugs. One standard PWM and one RGB that plugs into the included RGB hub. You will need to control fan speed from the motherboard regardless so a 3 way splitter will do the trick. The iCue software will control only the RGB  effect, not the RPM. You will connect the included Lighting node core to a usb 2.0 header on the motherboard in order for it to communicate with windows and transitively, the iCue software. Make sure you have an available usb header for this.

1 hour ago, SacredBovine said:

Each fan will have two plugs. One standard PWM and one RGB that plugs into the included RGB hub. You will need to control fan speed from the motherboard regardless so a 3 way splitter will do the trick. The iCue software will control only the RGB  effect, not the RPM. You will connect the included Lighting node core to a usb 2.0 header on the motherboard in order for it to communicate with windows and transitively, the iCue software. Make sure you have an available usb header for this.

Oh i see. Not that it really matters but if i do plug the 3 fans into the 1 header through the adapter will i be able to control the three fans sepparetely or will they be treated as one?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | Motherboard -  MSI B550-A PRO | RAM 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8GB, DDR4, 3600MHz | Graphics Card -ASUS STRIX 1060 6 GB| Power Supply - Corsair RM650x  | Case - Corsair Carbide Series 275R

40 minutes ago, talklogan said:

Thanks i got that part figured out. My question stands though:

Not that it really matters but if i do plug the 3 fans into the 1 header through the adapter will i be able to control the three fans sepparetely or will they be treated as one?

42 minutes ago, LennyD said:

Thanks i got that part figured out. My question stands though:

Not that it really matters but if i do plug the 3 fans into the 1 header through the adapter will i be able to control the three fans sepparetely or will they be treated as one?

treated as one, unless if you get a fan controller.

i9-10980xe 4.5ghz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ultra clocked at 1965mhz and memory clocked at 8417mhz | 128gb 3200mhz |