First Time Builder Stuck.....Please Help

Michael J

Hello everyone.  My name is Mike Morison.   I am going to apologize now as I am sure I will be making some mistakes as this is the first time I am posting anything.  I am retired and I am trying to build my first computer ever.  I am building it to do Solidworks and to do Videos on this computer.  What I have done is read all the manuals and built the Rig as best I could.   When I first hit the on button I had a red light saying CPU.  I read the manuals again and realized I did not hook up the CPU connectors on the top of the mother board.  I then connected them and tried again.  Computer and all the fans and lights turned on properly.  The red light moved past the CPU and moved on to the BOOT light.  I have tried to find a solution and I have read everything I can but I am now stuck. Could someone please help with some information for me to continue to learn how to get this working?  Thank you.  Here are the build parts below.

Motherboard    Gigabyte Z390 Designare  

CPU       Intel i7-9700K 3.8GHZ   12 MB   Cache, LGA 1151

CPU Cooler         NOCTUA NH-U12S

(2) SSD Drive      Samsung 970 EVO NVMe   M.2 500 GB

(2) SSD Drive      Samsung 860 EVO  SATA 6Gb/s  500 GB

(2) Memory        16GB DDR4-2666 Crucial

GPU       Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000  8GB

Power Supply    EVGA Super Nova 850Watt

Well, let's go step by step.

Have you connected a monitor to one of the outputs of your graphics card and is the monitor turned on and the correct input selected?

I tried plugging the monitor into the Mother board HDMI and I also tried Plugging it in to the Video card

No the screen is blank.  I put the monitoron my laptop and it worked fine

So nothing is showing up on your screen when you start the system while it's plugged into the video card?

F@H    EOC

Just now, Michael J said:

No the screen is blank.  I put the monitoron my laptop and it worked fine

You could try reseating the graphics card. 

F@H    EOC

I will try this again.  But the mother board has red lights that show warnings.  Right now it is Showing BOOT.

Also, don't forget to tag who you're responding to, or they might not see it. I think that's why @Senzelian isn't responding

F@H    EOC

image.png.c45f30aefe07f5516ac3f14eb7da855d.png

I looked up what the BOOT LED does and it's not exactly very helpful.

So what I would do is to simply plug in a Windows 10 boot USB drive and see if it boots into Windows automatically.

If not, take the GPU out and try to get into the BIOS with the monitor connected to the motherboard.

I've noticed some Z390 boards not properly POST with the 9700K until a BIOS update was applied. I don't recall if any of the gigabyte boards lit the BOOT led or not tho and I never built using the designaire. Hopefully this isn't the issue as you would need another CPU to install in order to update the BIOS. Also of note, I haven't had this issue in any of the new boards my company has purchased in the last 4-5 months. 

@SacredBovine  Thank you so much for the input.  I had to take a chance and called Gigabyte In Taiwan, I was grateful they actually answered the phone.  What I learned is I had the Ram in wrong.  They wanted me to boot up with no drives and one stick of RAM..  I took out the Video card and plugged the Monitor into the Mother board direct.  Hit the on button and up came the easy mode on the screen for BIOS. My mouse and keyboard work fine.  Now I can breath a little better.  What I did is put one stick in, everything ok.  After that I put the second stick in the 3rd slot for dual channel RAM and everything is ok.  Now I need to understand what to do with the drives and how to put the operating system on.  Thank you so much for the quick help .  I am very greatful!!!

@Senzelian I had to take a chance and called Gigabyte In Taiwan, I was grateful they actually answered the phone.  What I learned is I had the Ram in wrong.  They wanted me to boot up with no drives and one stick of RAM..  I took out the Video card and plugged the Monitor into the Mother board direct.  Hit the on button and up came the easy mode on the screen for BIOS. My mouse and keyboard work fine.  Now I can breath a little better.  What I did is put one stick in, everything ok.  After that I put the second stick in the 3rd slot for dual channel RAM and everything is ok.  Now I need to understand what to do with the drives and how to put the operating system on.  Thank you so much for the quick help .  I am very greatful!!!

48 minutes ago, Michael J said:

@Senzelian I had to take a chance and called Gigabyte In Taiwan, I was grateful they actually answered the phone.  What I learned is I had the Ram in wrong.  They wanted me to boot up with no drives and one stick of RAM..  I took out the Video card and plugged the Monitor into the Mother board direct.  Hit the on button and up came the easy mode on the screen for BIOS. My mouse and keyboard work fine.  Now I can breath a little better.  What I did is put one stick in, everything ok.  After that I put the second stick in the 3rd slot for dual channel RAM and everything is ok.  Now I need to understand what to do with the drives and how to put the operating system on.  Thank you so much for the quick help .  I am very greatful!!!

I'm glad that everything works!

Regarding your question where to put the OS and whether you should put the OS on a SSD or a M.2 drive:
You have to know, that M.2 is nothing more than a connector and formfactor. There are M.2 SSDs and there are SATA SSDs. (There are even more, but let's not get into those.)

The most common scenario is that you put your OS and commonly used software like a internet browser for example onto your SSD and everything else on a HDD.

You can of course also use another SSD instead of a HDD.

I will simply post in this thread again to answer you, since you've been posting your questions on my profile.

(You can quote my posts with the help of the little pen at the bottom of each post. This way I will also get notified!)

There are no issues if you install your OS on a M.2 drive.

In your case I even recommend to do so!