Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT FreeSync black screen issue

Teknoist
3 minutes ago, Teknoist said:

I disagree, I've been unable to replicate the problem described in my OP since turning this feature off and instantly replicated it when turning it back on. Whilst I suspect it's not the root cause, something about the fast start up is causing freesync issues for my configuration. Given the start up speed difference is negligible I'll just leave it turned off.

Thanks everyone for input.

Oh shit, so fast start up is breaking freesync? My apologies, i thought you were talking about the difference in start up behaviour. Yeah, in that case turn it off.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh shit, so fast start up is breaking freesync? My apologies, i thought you were talking about the difference in start up behaviour. Yeah, in that case turn it off.

Yes, sorry perhaps I wasn't clear with my post.

If the problem returns then I'll post again with an update... fingers crossed I've nipped it in the bud through https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging

I have the same monitor only one of them and a sapphire pulse rx5700xt. I use display port and haven’t had this issue. 

Go into the Radeon settings and see what all is checked on. I only have freesync on, using the anti lag and enhanced sync I think it’s called gave me issues with black screens in the past on old drivers. 

I turned it off and no more issues. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

3 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I have the same monitor only one of them and a sapphire pulse rx5700xt. I use display port and haven’t had this issue. 

Go into the Radeon settings and see what all is checked on. I only have freesync on, using the anti lag and enhanced sync I think it’s called gave me issues with black screens in the past on old drivers. 

I turned it off and no more issues. 

Enhanced sync is known to be broken up to and including the latest driver, AMD recommend users disable it if it causes them issues.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I don’t use enhanced sync. I turned all that shit off and haven’t had a single issue since 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 4/18/2020 at 7:40 AM, Master Disaster said:

It was an issue, I was experiencing it myself. You run a game, the screen flickers (like you Alt Tabbed when you actually did not) then you get stuck at a black screen and have to Alt & F4 to get back to desktop, you can still hear the game audio playing and some people were saying ALT & Enter fixed it though this did not work for me. What did fix it for me was running in windowed mode rather than fullscreen. Personally it happened with almost every game I ran, off the top of my head GTA v, RDR 2, AC Odyssey, Forza Horizon 3 and Jedi Fallen Order all suffered from it.

They fixed it in Adrenaline 20.2.2 (along with a boat load more driver specific issues).

Heres a note from the 20,2.2 release notes...

Here's my question though.  Why haven't I experienced any of those problems and you did?  That doesn't make sense to me, because code can't be inconsistent.  The code that makes the drivers is the same regardless of who installs it, and where, right?  So what makes my experience so different from yours?  Does it have to do with other pieces of hardware in the system? 

I'm legitimately curious about this, I even started a poll for people to add their experiences with that didn't really gain much traction. 

10 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

Here's my question though.  Why haven't I experienced any of those problems and you did?  That doesn't make sense to me, because code can't be inconsistent.  The code that makes the drivers is the same regardless of who installs it, and where, right?  So what makes my experience so different from yours?  Does it have to do with other pieces of hardware in the system? 

I'm legitimately curious about this, I even started a poll for people to add their experiences with that didn't really gain much traction. 

The reason normally comes down to software. While hardware is hardware (the Windows HAL layer takes care of this) and Windows is Windows there's countless variations in what software users are running on top of Windows and also what state the users Windows install is in can also affect stability. This is why the exact same application can work in 99% of cases but there's always the 1% where something the user is running is causing a problem.

Software engineering is incredibly complex these days, I can't begin to explain it in any more detail because honestly, I don't understand it properly either.