Power supply making loud/weird noise

Smestn

Hi all, i have a 7 year old PSU that is making weird noises in my build. I bought it in 2013 and it is a Cooler Master 80+ Bronze non modular PSU. 

I have a case that is a little wobbly, a bitfenix prodigy M. Sometimes if i lift it up and put it in another room, and boot it up, suddenly something in front of the case, i suspect the PSU, makes a loud growling noise.

It sounds like a fan that goes around faster and faster, then it goes slower and slower, then faster and faster again. If i nudge the case the noise is affected, but doesnt stop.

If i turn the pc on and off again, the growling starts again, but if i restart the pc after waiting a while (i have to do this repeatedly) it stops and it doesnt happen for maybe weeks. 

Any fix for this? I have been looking to upgrade my PSU also, and is the corsair rm 750x white a good choice?

Replace the power supply, preferably before it combusts into the eye of @Sauron

The RMx is gine but I'd say you should get a 550W model - I doubt your system needs 750W

Sounds like a dying fan,

As long as the fan stays in the correct position and doesn't lose momentum it will be quiet,

But in the moment it gets out of the correct position it can grind against something or even itself which will cause the noise.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Replace the power supply, preferably before it combusts into the eye of @Sauron

The RMx is gine but I'd say you should get a 550W model - I doubt your system needs 750W

oh no will it expleode

But memes aside, i have a i9 9900k, 32gigs of ram and a gtx 1070. Is 550w enough for these parts? Isnt the i9 a hongry beast?

Just now, Smestn said:

oh no will it expleode

But memes aside, i have a i9 9900k, 32gigs of ram and a gtx 1070. Is 550w enough for these parts? Isnt the i9 a hongry beast?

Yes - while the i9 does tend to eat 150-180W, the total system power draw is still only 400-450W under max load. I would avoid hardcore overclocking the i9, though

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes - while the i9 does tend to eat 150-180W, the total system power draw is still only 400-450W under max load. I would avoid hardcore overclocking the i9, though

Hardcore overclocking probably wont be my focus. My case is small and airflow is rather limited. I just want to be safe since my potato is precious. Sounds like 550w is enough though, and thanks for the input. ^_^ 

4 minutes ago, Smestn said:

Hardcore overclocking probably wont be my focus. My case is small and airflow is rather limited. I just want to be safe since my potato is precious. Sounds like 550w is enough though, and thanks for the input. ^_^ 

Grab a decent unit like the RMx 550W and enjoy. Get 650W if you want quieter operation under full load