PSU Buzzing When Vacuum Cleaner is On

Ithenius

So, something strange just happened. I started noticing some kind of electrical buzz in my PSU (a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W), but it only happens when I have the vacuum cleaner turned on (not even in the same room). It's more strange since the electrical installation isn't that old and is fully grounded. Could it be an issue with the PSU or just some strange behaviour?

2 minutes ago, Ithenius said:

ground

Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Could also just be the load of the vaccum. Try a heater and see what happens

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

Does it happen if the vacuum cleaner is on a separate breaker? Depending on how your house/apartment is set up, two rooms could sit on the same breaker, even if they're on separate ends.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, AMD1234 said:

Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Could also just be the load of the vaccum. Try a heater and see what happens

Hmm, one of the accumulators started and the sound did happen again... Seems like I might need to check the grounding again. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Does it happen if the vacuum cleaner is on a separate breaker? Depending on how your house/apartment is set up, two rooms could sit on the same breaker, even if they're on separate ends.

They are on the same breaker (vacuum was on the hall, but I know these outlets are on the same breaker). 

My doubt was if this was normal or if it could be a PSU issue.

1 hour ago, Ithenius said:

My doubt was if this was normal or if it could be a PSU issue

Not a PSU issue, issue with your grounding or wiring

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

1 hour ago, Ithenius said:

My doubt was if this was normal or if it could be a PSU issue.

Anything with an inductive load (low power factor correction) is going to push interference back to a resistant load (high power factor) or a device with power factor correction (your PSU).

It's not unusual at all.  It's just noise.

Also not a ground issue.  Easy to test with a plug tester (< $10).  But that noise doesn't get send to ground.  It just bounces around within the circuit.