CCNA certification.

jray-moes

Hey guys, 

I'm a complete rookie so I apologize for not being up to par with you guys but basically I'm trying to build a lab to start training for the CCNA exam. I recently checked and I noticed that the exam has changed a bit, I still have not bought the hardware to start my lab but I was going to order from Amazon the gear. I would appreciate any input you guys have, anything regarding books or something that could points me towards the right direction, thanks!

Routers:

1x Cisco 2811 Router [256MB Dram/64MB Flash] IOS: 15.1T 2x Fast Ethernet Interfaces

2x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (2 x T1 Serial Interfaces)

1x CISCO 2811 Router [256MB Dram/64MB FLASH] IOS: 15.1T 2x Fast Ethernet Interfaces

1x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (1 x T1 Serial Interface)

1x Cisco 2811 Router [256MB Dram/64MB Flash] IOS: 15.1T 2x Fast Ethernet Interfaces

SWITCHES:

1x WS-C3750-24 Layer 3 CCIE LEVEL Switch 1x WS-C2950-24 Switch Layer 2 1x WS-C2950-24 SWITCH LAYER 2

You can get ISR2900 series stuff pretty cheap these days, although depending on license some of the feature sets vary (whereas 2800 you can run basically every feature in the image).

I'd probably roll ebay instead of Amazon, you can find better deals (I picked up 2x 2960S-24p for $20/ea, for example).

If you substitute another one of your switches for a L3 switch you can double the device as another routed segment device.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

2 minutes ago, beersykins said:

You can get ISR2900 series stuff pretty cheap these days, although depending on license some of the feature sets vary (whereas 2800 you can run basically every feature in the image).

I'd probably roll ebay instead of Amazon, you can find better deals (I picked up 2x 2960S-24p for $20/ea, for example).

If you substitute another one of your switches for a L3 switch you can double the device as another routed segment device.

For CCNA level stuff and even CCNP these days I'd suggest VIRL, GNS3, or something similar instead.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

For CCNA level stuff and even CCNP these days I'd suggest VIRL, GNS3, or something similar instead.

Agree virtual is an easy, best-cost way to model out concepts.

I have found people that own hardware are a lot more familiar with integrating a given platform and/or have more flexibility in their designs.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just downloaded Packet Tracer and I'm going to start experimenting with it. I read that the exams have updated and my worry is if I buy those switches and routers will that be a waste of money since they are outdated or is it still worth it and help me with the new certification exams?

Depends what you're labbing and if it comes in the feature set of that platform and version of code, really.  Most of the lab concepts like IPv4 and routing protocols are fine, some pieces are license locked on newer platforms like UC/CUBE.

CCNA core concept level will apply to the list you have, those are old enough you can generally resell for what you paid or close to it, depends on your angle.

I still use a 2811 as a SIP trunk/Unity Express box since they changed the license model on the AIM-CUE module after a certain software version :P

22 hours ago, jray-moes said:

Hey guys, 

I'm a complete rookie so I apologize for not being up to par with you guys but basically I'm trying to build a lab to start training for the CCNA exam. I recently checked and I noticed that the exam has changed a bit, I still have not bought the hardware to start my lab but I was going to order from Amazon the gear. I would appreciate any input you guys have, anything regarding books or something that could points me towards the right direction, thanks!

Routers:

2x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (2 x T1 Serial Interfaces)

1x CISCO 2811 Router [256MB Dram/64MB FLASH] IOS: 15.1T 2x Fast Ethernet Interfaces

SWITCHES:

1x WS-C3750-24 Layer 3 CCIE LEVEL Switch 1x WS-C2950-24 Switch Layer 2 1x WS-C2950-24 SWITCH LAYER 2

I've passed 200-125 (the old one) and I can strongly agree, HW stuff isn't needed at all.

Although I'm working in networking field for 7+ years, I started with non-Cisco gear (now stick mostly to Cisco), I would say certifications are about 50-75% about the experience, 20-40% about theoretical stuff and 5-10% of old stuff, that I think you will probably never see again in real world (ATM...) (I know that % doesn't match to 100 :D, cuz ranges... depends on your mix of questions).

Lab, lab, lab. Practice, trying new things, HW will not save you. You can buy the newest stuff, but that will not solve, that you don't understand the basics of L1-L3 networking. Try to get some troubleshooting labs, they are the most valuable thing, that you can get. Let someone break it for you, and then try to fix it. We learn by making and fixing mistakes.

Newer certifications will not make your old knowledge obsolete, they usually just contain wider range of knowledge in another fields (e.g. last refresh in Feb mostly added network automation, programmability etc...) it will not change what VLAN or IP address is.

If you really want to spend some money and buy hw, old stuff isn't really worth it. If you can mess with your home network, great, buy it for real world use, not just lab - replace your home network. I would recommend ISR 1921 / 2901 or something like that + (E)HWIC switch module / small dedicated switch (if you care about power consumption, try to avoid large L3 switches, they could be really power hungry - try to start with what most fits you, e.g. L2 2960C or CG etc. or L3 variant of those small compact switches 3560C or CG). And also agree ebay instead of amazon...

For setups, where you want to use multiple routers / multiple switches labbing, just use packet tracer (it is prety much all you need for CCNA and most of CCNP stuff) or for more real-world simulation use GNS3 or VIRL/VIRL2 (if you can access it). (remember: routing only!! not L2/L3 switches as their asics could not be simulated in same way as GNS3/VIRL does -> back to PT)

35 minutes ago, iJarda said:

For setups, where you want to use multiple routers / multiple switches labbing, just use packet tracer (it is prety much all you need for CCNA and most of CCNP stuff) or for more real-world simulation use GNS3 or VIRL/VIRL2 (if you can access it). (remember: routing only!! not L2/L3 switches as their asics could not be simulated in same way as GNS3/VIRL does -> back to PT)

Gns3/eveng/VIRL works perfectly fine for the majority of layer 2 concepts, some have a few bugs or plain don't work like ether channels and private vlans but not being able to simulate asics isn't a problem with labbing, it's perfectly fine as I said for majority (90-95%) of layer 2 concepts with vlans, stp, layer 2 security, etc.. 

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

On 4/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, iJarda said:

I've passed 200-125 (the old one) and I can strongly agree, HW stuff isn't needed at all.

Although I'm working in networking field for 7+ years, I started with non-Cisco gear (now stick mostly to Cisco), I would say certifications are about 50-75% about the experience, 20-40% about theoretical stuff and 5-10% of old stuff, that I think you will probably never see again in real world (ATM...) (I know that % doesn't match to 100 :D, cuz ranges... depends on your mix of questions).

Lab, lab, lab. Practice, trying new things, HW will not save you. You can buy the newest stuff, but that will not solve, that you don't understand the basics of L1-L3 networking. Try to get some troubleshooting labs, they are the most valuable thing, that you can get. Let someone break it for you, and then try to fix it. We learn by making and fixing mistakes.

Newer certifications will not make your old knowledge obsolete, they usually just contain wider range of knowledge in another fields (e.g. last refresh in Feb mostly added network automation, programmability etc...) it will not change what VLAN or IP address is.

If you really want to spend some money and buy hw, old stuff isn't really worth it. If you can mess with your home network, great, buy it for real world use, not just lab - replace your home network. I would recommend ISR 1921 / 2901 or something like that + (E)HWIC switch module / small dedicated switch (if you care about power consumption, try to avoid large L3 switches, they could be really power hungry - try to start with what most fits you, e.g. L2 2960C or CG etc. or L3 variant of those small compact switches 3560C or CG). And also agree ebay instead of amazon...

I downloaded Packet Tracer and also bought the 200-301 CCNA Official Cert Guide from the ciscopress website, I'm on the 2nd chapter learning about the Fundamentals of Ethernet LANs. The Packet Tracer is awesome, I'm working on a "Building network" and trying to learn the commands that are used to program switches and routers. I'm taking your guys advice and holding back on the HW and practicing with the SW programs, I'm guessing once I feel comfortable with the commands and finish the book I might look into setting up a small home lab. Is there any particular thing that you did that really helped you prepare for the exam? Again thanks to all of you for the feedback, I'm really giving this 100%.

beersykins has the right idea about ebay, but you should also check your local craigslist/let go/whatever. a lot of your local buissness who shut down or moved left all this networking equipment and theirs always a building manager or worker or something who grabs it all up and trys to offload the old shit for whatever they can get but also sell quickly. sometimes it's even "free but you have to take it all and get this rack out of here". space cost money and time cost money and if you willing to invest some time finding these deals they are out there.